selefreak

Performance Air Filters

In an Alfa, probably

I had one in my Nova and it made a tiny difference, but the original style was shocking start with :LOL:

I've heard the k&n ones knacker the maf up and the original Alfa ones are plenty

Sent from your wardrobe using silent stroke

The only mod worth doing to the air inlet side of a Twinny 156 is to fit the S pipe to replace the inlet resonator box in the l/h wing, this widens the inlet ducting and doesn't make the engine bay look like a scrap yard.

That's what I did to mine roughly 20 hours before the ABS problem cropped up! There's a nice subtle growl!

is this S pipe mod exclusively for the 156, or can/should it be done on the 147 twinny?

The airbox being different on the 147 would make it tricky to do but where there's a will... and I don't see why you couldn't use the stuff off of a 147 GTA

Biggest problem usually with any type of after market air filters are there placement! I know in this post were talking about replacing the standard paper filter with a foam replacement witch in thoery is a good idea more airflow but as a standalone mod it's benefits are questionable.

On my 156 I've gone for a bmc cda intake system as I've used them in the past and rate them highly however mine has been matched with a super sprint exhaust manifold 200cpi sports cat and the autodelta system that came with the car. And then a remap and this together has made a nice difference to the drive and feel of the car! Next up are cams and a lightend flywheel money permitting.

Just realised I've gone completely of track here :(

The manifold really made a big difference to the mid to top power but more noticeable was the vast improvement in torque when I get to a pc instead of my iPad I'll start a thread with the power graph's the curve is almost spot on no real spikes and is so smooth To drive can't wait to get the new flywheel in to allow the engine to rev that bit quicker and more freely.

How is the super sprint exhaust? Im toying with the idea of a custom quad exhaust ATM as I really like the look but only bolt on is the ragazzon and I'm not happy with the fact it has one box on the left then just a cross pipe to the other side I much prefer it to split as close to the cat as possible and have two separate boxes to keep it balanced and ensure the same amount of gases come out the back for appearance sake lol

The manifold really made a big difference to the mid to top power but more noticeable was the vast improvement in torque when I get to a pc instead of my iPad I'll start a thread with the power graph's the curve is almost spot on no real spikes and is so smooth To drive can't wait to get the new flywheel in to allow the engine to rev that bit quicker and more freely.

How is the super sprint exhaust? Im toying with the idea of a custom quad exhaust ATM as I really like the look but only bolt on is the ragazzon and I'm not happy with the fact it has one box on the left then just a cross pipe to the other side I much prefer it to split as close to the cat as possible and have two separate boxes to keep it balanced and ensure the same amount of gases come out the back for appearance sake lol

Is it a 2.0 ?

If so what about taking off the balancer belt ?

It can be removed, Smaky will be able to give an idea as to whether its a good idea or not.

Will be a lot cheaper than a lightweight flywheel. :)

Or just get a 1.8 not much less power but, IMO, a more fun engine, I've had both :)

Just done a quick read up on the web on it and there appears to be mixed opinions on weather this is advisable or not lol but I guess engines are so cheap even if I do blow this one another costs sod all! I'll do the flywheel asswell purely because I have it here brought it months ago when I first brought the car as I felt the car didn't rev as freely as it could I plan to get new cams in the next couple of months so the balance belt removal will be done when I fit the new cams and belts! Was hoping to have this car finished by now but my other project a fiat coupe 20vt sorta poped up lol

Bmc Cda's are as good as any off-shelf filter gets imo.

But they need to be setup right. Without a good supply of cold air any filter will do more harm than good.

By good supply, I mean from outside the engine bay, preferably 'rammed' as the yanks say...

Eg;

feed2.jpg

_MG_9398Large.jpg

Before I ditched the full beam and added the hose/vent my bhp went from 170 to 160. Afterwards it jumped to 182 (dyno'd).

It was coupled with a silencer-free straight through exhaust though. No point improving the flow into the engine if it can't get out too. ;)

Alfa GTV 2.0 ts get rid of the resonater box for improved sound and low rev uptake,

Here is a picture from workshop manual, its the box I have circled which can be taken out and replaced with straight pipe, There is also a fair amount of crazy piping on the other side of the filter that could be removed. however, I would be careful with modding this as to make it susceptable to flooding when driving through puddles. but if you remove the lower resonator replace with one from a v6 or gta.

Yep no picture. the top one is between the rocker breather and temp sensor.

Nice tuning munky!

Now how would I do something like that in a 156.. hm...

The only place I could think is taking the two fog lamps out and use ducting to the cda

I might plan to do that if I keep it

The only mod worth doing to the air inlet side of a Twinny 156 is to fit the S pipe to replace the inlet resonator box in the l/h wing, this widens the inlet ducting and doesn't make the engine bay look like a scrap yard.

Where do these S pipes come from Mr Smaky ? please