twisted_pr

How did your bella do? General tips?

Not sure if this is more of a general chit chat topic, but as it relates to advice on getting through the MOT, did anyone see the Honest John MOT survey results? http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co. ... alfa-romeo

I find it staggering that lighting issues, often the most easy to identify and rectify are the most common cause of failure across all makes and models. :Confused: I guess this will only go up in light of (no pun intended) the new HID regs, unless testers take the attitude of "the luminosity, aim and pattern etc were fine and I couldn't see any ballasts, so how could I tell?" :whistle:

Anyway, reason for posting in this section is that my Dad's 147 is going for its long overdue MOT shortly (once the Sele issue is sorted). As I'm new to Alfas, is there anything specific to look out for when doing a pre-check on a 147 (especially one that's been stood for a year)?

Using the vast experience of the AD forum members, perhaps a model specific checklist could be compiled (at some point, as I know time and resources are an issue)?

Thanks.

My old 147 failed on some suspension parts, cant remember exactly what they were now but think it was the wishbones or droplinks :)

Brakes for the Spider, top of the list here anyway.

I've never failed an MoT as I'm lucky enough to live with a mechanic...

I can ubderstand the brake issue, the handbrake is known for being shocking... But I've never had a problem. In fact I've found no recurring issue that sticks out...

1.5% for structure, now I think that's the rust issues gotten on top of, lighting issues, well if there are that many bulbs blown/aiming out and that's the worst % then clearly the cars are surviving better than the reputation.

Bastard (The vehicle formerly known as Alfie or Bella) has its MOT on the 11th.

I'm not anticipating good news... Just a feeling...

• Like 1

My 156 failed on CV boot, leaking rear calliper and upper wishbone N/S.

The wishbone was changed last year, so was replaced FOC.

All done now any legal for another year.

Hard to believe people fail on blown bulbs, they're so easy to check.

Despite having been stood for nearly 2yrs all the 147 needed was a pre-MOT Selespeed pump refurb (thanks to Smaky for the excellent guide), plus the scenic route to the MOT station (so I could clean up the brake discs etc) and she passed. Bought her off my Dad, drove 200+ miles home and was presented with a load of engine sensor errors - that was lucky timing! Going in for a cam belt change on Friday so will get errors seen to then.

Thanks Smaky. Thought it was odd that 4 sensors would go at the same time (Lambda, Water Temp, Crankshaft & RPM), had a look/tighten, cleared errors and now it's just the Crank & RPM that keep coming up (no matter how many times they're cleared in FES). Dropped it off at Alfa Workshop today for the cam belt, so they're going to have a look at the errors at the same time. Expecting to need two new sensors.

GTA passed its mot with 1 advisory

Rear tyres scrubbed on the inside

Flew through on Monday,

Not before having the front lower arms replaced, new brakes, and new tyres (Due to aforementioned arms) and tracking done.

Mechanic/hubby also tells me I need to replace the radiator and possibly the lambda (Intermittent 'flat' spots). All fine as I have both from poor Charlotte.

Oh! One verbal advisory on rear drivers tyre/wheel... but nothing in writing

Edited by Anjenha

Went to see my 166 on Monday, the power steering leak is fixed. :yay:

For the MOT it need a new front spring, its cracked, there's some play in the suspension, something to do with the brakes and possibly a blowing exhaust, most likely down pipe on the rear bank, apart from the manifolds the rest is new (ish).

Considering she's been off the road for over a year the bodywork still looks surprisingly good, but my inner detailer is still itching to get to work. :)

Best of all the guy sorting her out started her up and she fired straight into life with that lovely Busso V6 sounds. :)

147 passed 2 advisories .

1. Poor disc condition ( been stood for 3 months )Only about 400 Meters

to the test station.

2. Darn drivers door check strap poor condition , there's a surprise , clack clack clack.

Oh deep joy . Now got to save up for the tax . Whilst it still works :)

Tax is a bloody killer

The gtv is due it's mot plus tax and the van is due tax aswell

MiTo is £125 a year :) its gone up a fiver since last year :teehee:

My 147 2.0 cost more to tax than my 166 2.5, because its newer. :cry: