Sign in to follow this  
divadiva

The Best Formula One Driver Of All Time

For me, it has to be Ayrton Senna. He had such an intense passion for the sport, daring and was a man of great faith. There will never be another like him.

With 65 pole positions, 41 wins and 80 times on the podium in his career, he is thought by many as the best talent ever in F1. :cool:

He met his untimely death in 1994 at San Marino aged only 34 - a great loss to the World of F1.

His legacy lives on. The Ayton Senna Foundation was set up after his death. ‘Senna Tri Campaign’ was launched by his nephew, Bruno last year in Japan.

http://www.gpnow.com/formula1/7852/lrgp ... -campaign/

I still haven't watched the Senna movie. Need to :/

I saw it the day it came out....it's a great movie but did make me cry (and it takes alot usually).

I got the Senna movie for my birthday in Oct and still haven't watched it, I do cry easily at stuff and haven't felt mentally ready to deal with it yet. That may seem a bit strange but I know my mind.

I scared myself rigid that day. I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and — I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds!

I recorded senna last night on sky. Will watch it this weekend. Was on some obscure channel after a programme called petrol heads

Its a great documentary, very moving so if you're the weepy type get the tissues ready.

One of the saddest parts is that most people have no idea who roland ratzenberger is.

Its a great documentary, very moving so if you're the weepy type get the tissues ready.

One of the saddest parts is that most people have no idea who roland ratzenberger is.

I am unable to cry

Robot

When a woman says she used a whole box of tissue when watching a film, that's OK. :bluecry:

It's not the same as when a man says it... :$

I have to agree with Clarkson, all the skill that the guys in the '70s/'80s had was just that....SKILL, the new guys just have to point and go, computers do the rest, messages were relayed at the pitstop and the mechanics didn't have time to plan an adjustment, nowadays the race is won in the design department and all the driver has to do is get the machine to the end, Gilles had skill and controlled a machine that was not limited by the rulebook, Ayrtons ride on the other hand had maximum engineering limits and was nowhere near as powerful, I would though put them in the top 3 drivers of all time, Gilles V, Ayrton S and then in 3rd M Schumacher, though he's proven to have lost his edge in the last 3 years.

Cba to read any of this thread.

There are some f1 'legends' but none of them are good drivers. They just had good cars.

F1 is shite, and so are all of its drivers. If you want to see the worlds best drivers, watch some touring cars or rally coverage.

Its like f1, but the cars don't fall apart if they come within a foot if each other and you have to know how to drive to win. :thumbs:

Well, I'm an F1 fanatic and totally proud to be. It isn't just about what car a driver has - there is so much skill involved! You obviously don't enjoy it, fine.

I do like other motorsoprt, but NOTHING compares to the excitment of F1 for me. Senna's death was devastating for the sport but was the last to the present day as safety procedures were introduced.

He was and still is my F1 hero.

Cba to read any of this thread.

There are some f1 'legends' but none of them are good drivers. They just had good cars.

F1 is shite, and so are all of its drivers. If you want to see the worlds best drivers, watch some touring cars or rally coverage.

Its like f1, but the cars don't fall apart if they come within a foot if each other and you have to know how to drive to win. :thumbs:

That car…had literally one quarter of the downforce that, say Williams or Brabham had. It had a power advantage over the Cosworths for sure, but it also had massive throttle lag at that time. In terms of sheer ability I think Gilles was on a different plane to the other drivers. To win those races, the 1981 GPs at Monaco and Jarama — on tight circuits — was quite out of this world. I know how bad that car was.

But the greatest transcend the limits of their equipment.

gil_vill.jpg

800px-circuit_gilles_villeneuve_mam2.jpg

Of course there is some skill involved still.

Cars do make a difference, though. Hubby and I were waiting years for Jenson Button to get a half decent vehicle, we knew he had the skill.

When you think that 90% of people peobably couldn't get an F1 car off the line... You have to admit...

I really enjoy watching senna, and the older F1 generation. Prost and Damon Hill were amazing to watch too :)

Of the modern drivers my favourite to watch are Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikonnen, for me they always put on a show. Currently i'm watching kobayashi, i think he has the potential to be great one day too.

This is one of my favourite pieces of artwork. It's called 'what if?'.

1-formula--alone-oleg-konin.jpg

Ooh, that picture's made me feel all funny :sad:

I wish it were real racing again :(

Have you forgotten about Jim Clark ?

Here's a brief extract from Wiki :

James "Jim" (or "Jimmy") Clark, Jr OBE (4 March 1936 – 7 April 1968) was a British Formula One racing driver from Scotland, who won two World Championships, in 1963 and 1965.

Clark was a versatile driver who competed in sports cars, touring cars and in the Indianapolis 500, which he won in 1965. He was particularly associated with the Lotus marque.

He was killed in a Formula Two motor racing accident in Hockenheim, Germany in 1968. At the time of his death, he had won more Grand Prix races (25) and achieved more Grand Prix pole positions (33) than any other driver. The Times placed Clark at the top of a list of the greatest Formula One drivers in 2009

He competed in all types of racing, as you can see above, and with none of the modern assists.