Sign in to follow this  
Morgan

The "temptingly cheap" cars thread

I'll start...

Check this beauty out. :cool:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 429365677/

media?id=1891600424

It's up for £795 on the 'trader. With a bit of judicious haggling, and the promise of non-sequential £50 notes, I reckon the dealer would buckle at £750 (give or take).

That's a HUGE amount of V8 BMW for the money. :thumbs:

Oh christ, I've found another one...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 402799793/

media?id=1892772544

Up for £595, apparently only showing 75k miles. Knock off £95 for a cash sale, and bish bash bosh. Worth five hundred quid of anyone's money, I'd say. :thumbs:

A top-spec. Rover 800 Sterling V6 for half a bag of sand. Incredible value! :o

Oh, COME ON!!! This is getting silly now...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 438762634/

media?id=1889034214

A SAAB 900 with 8 months MoT for £375?!? And the handsome 3-door, at that. :thumbs: At that money, I wouldn't have the heart to haggle. Might even give the seller £380 and be done with it. :LOL:

Apparently, the airbag light is on. So what? :whistle:

1999 Alfa 156 2.5 V6, New radiator, cam belt and stuff. FSH 131000 miles, leather interior.

6 months tax and 12 months Mot.

A snip at 500 of your finest english pounds.

BMW sorry, Never ever ever ever. The WORST build quality of all German Marques (IMO of course, and from what I have seen)

Saab, too easy to buy a lemon, again from my own experience, you'd have to be careful, and ask yourself, why so cheap?

Rover. I have nothing bad to say about the Rover... That is indeed temptingly cheap :o

The Alfa... I'd be wary of spending only £500 on an Alfa... :LOL:

Apart from needing upper wishbones It's been no problem at all. Even if it blows up after a year it's worth 500 :D

Unlike my 1800 quid twinny which caught fire after 5 months, then had about a grand spent on it to fix and immediately (a week later) decided to explode it's big end :cry:

Apart from needing upper wishbones It's been no problem at all. Even if it blows up after a year it's worth 500 :D

Unlike my 1800 quid twinny which caught fire after 5 months, then had about a grand spent on it to fix and immediately (a week later) decided to explode it's big end :cry:

This is fair enough :LOL:

BMW sorry, Never ever ever ever. The WORST build quality of all German Marques (IMO of course, and from what I have seen)

Saab, too easy to buy a lemon, again from my own experience, you'd have to be careful, and ask yourself, why so cheap?

Rover. I have nothing bad to say about the Rover... That is indeed temptingly cheap :o

The Alfa... I'd be wary of spending only £500 on an Alfa... :LOL:

I have to disagree with you about the BMW. :tut: I've had two E32 730is and one E38 740i, all three of which were massively over-engineered and felt built to last. :thumbs:

I take your point on the SAAB, but at that money, as long as all four tyres were still round, and there was no mayo in the header tank/under the oil filler cap, I'd take a flyer on it for £375. :D Even if you had to spend another £200-£300 on it for the next MoT (8 months down the line), it still represents fine value for money.

And it looks like we both agree on the Rover. :thumbs: I've had two Rover 800s (a 2.7 V6 and a 2.0 Turbo), and both were an immense amount of metal for the money. :cool:

I have to admit, the older BMs were better :thumbs: but still shocking quality compared to the Audis of the time, and now there is no comparison.

Again, IMO, and only from what I have seen. My Audi 80 Sport was amazingly well put together.

So good the company went bust..... 4 times.

Bad management, bad marketing, a handful of shoddy vehicles and a rather unwarranted stigma attached to the brand

I've found another one...

Volvo S80 T6 SE

media?id=1908978769

272bhp, turbocharged 6-cylinder, 280lb/ft torque, factory fit sat-nav (rises automatically from the top of the dash - very cool :cool:), 0-60 in a fraction over 7 seconds.

£950. That's right, a nifty change from a bag of sand. :o

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 3443630131

Christ, I REALLY need to stop looking at cheap cars on the 'Trader. :nonono:

Check this baby out:

Jaguar XJ6 3.2 LWB

media?id=1901966729

£695. FFS, that's ridiculously good value for money. If high mileage doesn't scare you, that is. ;)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 442112221/

I once saw a BMW 750iL for £1200.

I know these are a bit more expensive than 'temptingly cheap' but Jag XJR's are ridiculously cheap for the amount of car you get in return. Almost tempting i'd say.

I once saw a BMW 750iL for £1200.

I know these are a bit more expensive than 'temptingly cheap' but Jag XJR's are ridiculously cheap for the amount of car you get in return. Almost tempting i'd say.

That Gaz bloke, he's right, you know...

Jaguar XJR 4.0 Supercharged - £2,750

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 424000462/

Bizarrely, there are no cheap 750 V12s on the 'Trader right now. The cheapest one on there right now will set you back three-and-a-half bags of sand, which is just silly. :tut:

:LOL:

I've found another one...

Volvo S80 T6 SE

media?id=1908978769

272bhp, turbocharged 6-cylinder, 280lb/ft torque, factory fit sat-nav (rises automatically from the top of the dash - very cool :cool:), 0-60 in a fraction over 7 seconds.

£950. That's right, a nifty change from a bag of sand. :o

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 3443630131

:hubba: i could be a policeman again if i bought that :cool:

Hold on, mate... You're tempted by a Nissan Almera 1.4? :Confused:

A Nissan Pulsar N14 GTi-R, I could understand. A Nissan Primera P10 eGT, I could understand. A Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R, I could understand. At a push, the Nissan Almera N15 GTi.

But a frigging Almera 1.4?!?!? :o Have you lost the plot, son? :crazy:

:LOL:

That motor's "temptingly cheap" for a reason... It's SHITE.