Sign in to follow this  
Rrascal

156 Selespeed; symptoms as follows...

From the beginning of my ownership, the pump primes for less than a second and runs every gearchange. I didn't realise when I bought the car that there was anything wrong with this, but I am now lead to believe that this is symptomatic of accumulator failure.

The car has stuck itself in various gears on a number of occasions. I have managed to get it going again by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I suspect this means that the pump has been working so hard for so long that it too reqires attention, brushes at least.

I've had over $700 stolen from me by my local stealers attempting to diagnose the problem. All they did for that money was adjust the clutch pushrod length, replace the fuel pump relay with a second hand one and tell me that they couldn't perform an end of line calibration because the clutch electrovalve wasn't communicating... Their solution...? A new "robot".(I think they mean actuator.) At $3500NZ. No thanks. Not for one solenoid, which possibly only needs a clean anyway... In spite of having run diagnostic on the car, they didn't mention anything about pressure. First thing I'll be looking for when I get 1.) Laptop 2.) Lead and adaptors 3.) FiatECUScan.

Meantime, the car is still running fine for short trips, I only seem to have problems when on a longer journey. Maybe the solenoid problem shown on diagnostic is heat related. I read something in a thread on that other site about solenoids sticking when hot and, seeing as it's the clutch solenoid (EV0), that would prevent any gear changes.

Any and all advice/comments cheerfully read and replied to in the spirit in which they are given... :cool:

I'm sure Smaky well be asking shortly to assist...however he may take the piss a little about the stealers bill. Just saying. :P

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm kind of expecting that... :facepalm:

Not quite as bad as it looks, they did spend 5.5 hours on it, mostly unplugging and cleaning electrical connections. They charge like wounded bulls though... :rant:

And our dollar is only worth about 50p, so halve the figure for pounds... :teehee:

I bought the car at auction... My first check over it told me that the timing belt etc. hadn't been touched since new with the mileage at 91000km and the car 12 years old, so I did all that first up at a cost of $1700NZ, parts alone, through an independant importer. Guess I'm up for some other expenditure now too... Also noted that the front end is saggy, and one of the lower suspension links in the rear is bent. Oh, and the release bearing is noisy too... Not too bad, but a noticable swishing noise as the clutch is depressed... Ah well, wasn't really after a project, but I'll run with what I've got... :|

post-924-134189386412_thumb.jpg

post-924-13418938642_thumb.jpg

Basically I think you've nailed the diagnosis, your symptoms are those of the Accumulator, so $200NZ will get you one and a litre of CS Speed fluid to top it up with after. And I wont bother taking the piss out of the dealers for they know not what they are doing, but I'd want a refund for that piss poor diagnstic ability,

Thank you Smaky. Do you have ( or can you post a link to), the Fiat part number for the accumulator...? I'll try the indie importer in Cambridge on price, but I suspect it could possibly be cheaper to buy in the UK and ship it out... :rolleyes:

Perhaps armed with the appropriate part number I could ask the local robber barons for a price, as they are of course Fiat agents as well as Alfa... and Volvo... and Land Rover... and Jaguar... Strange combination, now that I come to think of it... :Confused:

Thanks again Smaky. :thumbs:

Now all I have to do is earn, (or otherwise aquire), the money for everything I need... Wish I hadn't decided on a desktop for my last computer purchase... :facepalm:

I have to do one tomorrow so I can knock up a guide for this, this car has refused to select gears recently, it's accumulator had failed causing the pump to run every few seconds, it's now been like this for a few months apparently and has got to the point where the pump siezed and blew the fuse, so this car is geting a pump, accumulator, relay and fuse.

Just to give you an idea of what sort of thieves we have to deal with down here, I just posted an enquiry with a bloke who is wrecking a 2000 156 Sele, due for it's second belt change, (or overdue for it's first, as the engine has shit itself) asking for a price on the pump and accumulator. He wants $500 (250 pounds...). Wanker... :tut: I'm prepared to lay long odds on him paying less than a bag of sand for the whole car... :rant:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... ermanent=0

So I've done nearly 10,000 in this car now, and finally got sick of having to tap the pump with a hammer... I really was procrastinating about replacing the pump motor brushes, mostly because I could see it was going to be a frustrating exercise getting tools where they needed to go. I was right, it was frustrating, but I eventually got it done, with the help of some loudly uttered curses... Pump is so far running fine, but I have yet to take it for a test drive.

I also fitted a new accumulator a couple of weeks ago, what a difference that made to the shifts...!

So, touch wood, all is well with my 156.

Thanks, Smaky, for your invaluable input.