Sign in to follow this  
Anjenha

Intermittent starting issue

Hello Smaky/guys

Spider phase2 16v 2.0

Twice in my ownership my car's thrown a fit and not started.

The first time I'd driven back from the midlands-ish to Essex, parked up at a supermarket, shopped, come back and she wouldn't start. I assumed perhaps she was a bit hot, first long journey since the Engine skim, you see. She was turning over, but not catching.

She started eventually that time

But it happened again last night. Not hot, only driven about 17-20 miles before hand, stopped for ten minutes, and went back to the car. Again turning over fine but not catching.

I pulled the key out, put it back in, nothing

Got out, locked the car, got back in, tried again, nothing

Just as a slight possibility, checked the fuel cut off. No click so wasn't that.

Turned the key over and tried again (maybe an immobiliser thing?) didn't help.

Pulled the key out, wiggled the steering wheel, tried again....perfect!

WTF can be going on? I have only got the red key (the one that doesn't even lock the glovebox/rear cubbyhole) but do have a whole new lock set, with master key, to fit.

Is it an immobiliser issue?

I then drove another 10minutes, left the car for about ten minutes before hubby jumped in, turned it around and checked the bearings, then left for twenty minutes before I drove home, then left until this morning... Every time, she started just fine :Confused:

Could be immobiliser but a dodgy plug more than anything else, or maybe the very start of a crank sensor issue.... BUT did the code light stay lit while it was refusing to start???

Ah, I can't remember :$ I do know nothing else seemed lout of the ordinary at the time.

Plug? Spark plug? It'd have to be more than two, I know the car starts with two soaked plugs after I cleaned the engine once :o

IF (big if) it happens again I'll keep my eye on the dash warning lights :thumbs: hubby's got the car next week for the bearings so I'll get him to have a check on the plugs anyway

Thank you, I'll let you know

Randomly cut out today...

Sitting in a queue waiting for the barriers on a level crossing to go up, and she just died!

Started again after several tries.

Have been told to listen for the fuel pump, and the pump relay click now, before I start the car, In order to rule it out.

There were no theatricals, just boom, dead. So I'm not sure it is the fuel pump, but it needs to be ruled out I guess :(

So much for old reliable red Charlotte...I want her BACK!!!!! :cry:

Apart from your last post I would have definitely said immobiliser arial. Had the same problem on my GTV and there's many a thread across the internet on it. I went everywhere trying to source a replacement part to no avail so ended up having to move the steering wheel up and down and it would start :Confused:

Haven't a clue with your last post though sorry.

Thanks anyway :):thumbs:

Also, the immobiliser light does NOT come on in an unusual manner when the car doesn't start.

It's just the usual - ignition on - lights on dash go out - but car no start, just turns over as normal but with no starting... until about the third/fourth try :Confused:

On average this has happened, once every two months? Weird

the best solution

Sell all alfa :poke:

I sold both my alfa's

no more headaches :thumbs:

That's defeatest

Sitting in a queue waiting for the barriers on a level crossing to go up, and she just died!

Have been told to listen for the fuel pump, and the pump relay click now, before I start the car, In order to rule it out.

There were no theatricals, just boom, dead. So I'm not sure it is the fuel pump, but it needs to be ruled out I guess :(

I would think that this could be a start relay issue now, cutting out isn't a normal symptom of an immobiliser problem, but now there will be a fault code... If you have the means to read them on the Gtv.,., ;) I do if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I'm on tour!

I would think that this could be a start relay issue now, cutting out isn't a normal symptom of an immobiliser problem, but now there will be a fault code... If you have the means to read them on the Gtv.,., ;) I do if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I'm on tour!

We have the means :) awesome thank you Smaky

Oh, cut out last night on the way home from work, tried to restart (No success straight away) and the fuel pump kicked into life, So it's definitely not that

:thumbs:

Update

Robin took the spider today and has found the following issues

A noisy variator (you know, petrol car sounding like a diesel)

A blown oil seal, though I can't remember where, it pissed oil all over my balancer and cam belts... Pain, new belts required

On plugging her in to his computer a fault is being thrown up by the crank sensor, too.

I'm looking at a bill of £130 ish quid.

We'll get belts, but not belt kits as the belts are bastard fucking brand new :grump:

And it's around £90 for a variator. He didn't explain what will happen with the crank sensor. I expect it won't be cheap

Anyone else thinking I may have bought a pup this time? Robin says no, it's age

And I happily punch him in the kisser :rant:

Im having this exact issue now.

Wouldnt start / fire one evening after having driven 30/40miles during the day.

Went to start it, cranked over but just would not fire. We got it on the back of the recovery truck, got it home, thought Id give it another go and.. boom.. started.. Wierd!

Got the car plugged in and no errors were logged and had no problems with it for a couple of months now until this weekend.

Check all the usual suspects, fuel cut-off switch, relays, fuses, injectors, fuel feed, plugs etc. Code light goes off, have checked all connections on ignition barrel, all ok.

Car turns over but will not fire and am guessing its the crank sensor that has finally given in.

Any other tips/advice would be appreciated.

I'm told no errors are thrown up by the diag until a cut out happens whilst running. My car wouldn't start a few times, and cut out twice. When my mechanic plugged her in there were two faults on the crank sensor.

We have surmised, therefore that this is the issue...

Not helpful, so much, just my experience so far...

Thanks Anjenha, my old phase one caught me unexpectidly whilst overtaking at 70mph+ ... Just died on the outside lane with no power steering etc.

That was my first scary experience of learning about the crank sensor and its functions.

Bit more clued up now with my 12 years of owning an Alfa and still love them despite the surprises they throw at us.

Thanks Anjenha, my old phase one caught me unexpectidly whilst overtaking at 70mph+ ... Just died on the outside lane with no power steering etc.

That was my first scary experience of learning about the crank sensor and its functions.

Bit more clued up now with my 12 years of owning an Alfa and still love them despite the surprises they throw at us.

I only have five years under my belt, though I already know that having a mechanic husband is the best choice I ever made in life!! :LOL:

Parts arrived yesterday

One Crankshaft sensor

One cam belt

One balance belt

One teeny tiny oil seal (inch and a half diameter o-ring)

So for a bunch of rubber and a plug...

£85

:rolleyes:

All back together. Drove her home tonight :)

Kind of forgot she wasn't a diesel Audi, though, and bogged her down on the first couple of gear changes :LOL:

We can only wait and see if the crank sensor was the issue... But the oil leak is sorted, and the belts are all replaced.

All back together. Drove her home tonight :)

Kind of forgot she wasn't a diesel Audi, though, and bogged her down on the first couple of gear changes :LOL:

We can only wait and see if the crank sensor was the issue... But the oil leak is sorted, and the belts are all replaced.

My 156 cut out 3 seperate times and on first 2 the ECU only read crankshaft position sensor... The 3rd time and the crank sensor finally reared its ugly head on the ECU.

Seems to like to hide behind other sensors that one!

Since the crank sensor change she has not missed a beat.

And what they are about £50 and not a PITA to change.

Apparently mine was a right bitch.

On my engine the wires into the head are all clipped and woven, so to get the crank sensor off was a bit of a pain, and took a while.

Parts arrived yesterday

One Crankshaft sensor

One cam belt

One balance belt

£85

What about the tensioners, idlers, and water pump?

Parts arrived yesterday

One Crankshaft sensor

One cam belt

One balance belt

£85

What about the tensioners, idlers, and water pump?

Ah, well

Brand spanking new belt 'kit' went on less than 2000 miles ago. We are for now replacing the belts alone., which got nicely smothered in oil when the tiny seal popped

Probably not what we should do, but funds make it a must. We'll replace the whole kit again when we do the variator, which is on it's way out.

Sorry Smaky, I can already hear your sharp intake if breath...