Sign in to follow this  
Pete_156

Strange patch of oil noticed this morning

Hi guys,

Went out to my Alfa 156 this morning and noticed that left front side (when looked at from the boot) had an oil slick coming from it, had the tyres (all 4) changed yesterday could this have caused it? doesnt seem to be dripping but ive parked it in another posistion just in case its a really slow leak so I can notice it.

any Ideas?

Pete

what sort of oil is it?

black engine oil, smelly gearbox oil or more like hydraulic (selespeed) oil

If it's sele oil, which given the posttion is possible there are several threads by Smaky on this and other forums to help identify the problem, but i'm sure he'll be along in a bit anyway.

Don't panic just yet :thumbs:

Right, Popped over to F1 Autocentres, they reckon its the Crank Seal, 8 hours work and they want to put a clutch kit in as well in case oil has got into the clutch, total cost £1006.80

They then told me to think about wether to ditch the Alfa as the car is not worth that much anymore

(Needless to say I was mortified I LOVE my Alfa 156)

Any input is appreciated, because I dont want to get a 159 just yet!!

Peter

If anything can be done Smaky will know. Sit tight for a bit he'll be along at some point.

Don't be paniced into taking your car to somewhare like F1. In my opinion they are expensive and often not that good. A cluch will cost £150 ish plus the seal so that would put thier labour rate at about £100 per hour then, even if it took 8 hours, which it won't (not if you are a good mechanic with the correct equipment)

I changed my sele clutch in less tham that on my mums drive, and while i claim to be a competant home mechanic, i'm certainly no expert. You will also need to get the selespeed set up correctly after, which F1 certainly won't do properly.

Where abouts are you? someone on here may be able to recommend a good local independent Alfa garage to give you a second opinion.

As the others have said, sit tight and wait for the Cavalry.

£1000 to fix an oil leak?

Duct tape will do the job just fine :thumbs:

P.S. don't listen to any mechanical advice I give. Wait for Smaky before breaking out the bodging kit.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk

He is... Problem solved :thumbs:

Bet it's nowhare near as big a problem as F1 are saying.

Right, Popped over to F1 Autocentres, they reckon its the Crank Seal, 8 hours work and they want to put a clutch kit in as well in case oil has got into the clutch, total cost £1006.80

They then told me to think about wether to ditch the Alfa as the car is not worth that much anymore

Peter

NO! IT IS NOT THE CRANK OIL SEAL, I'll back that up by offering to sort it for free if it is and as I'm in Swindon too how can you refuse???

But I know what it is more than likely to be.

Peter

Worst case is £ half that quote (including a complete clutch kit - which will be needed)

Any case there's no harm in asking for me to take a looksee, then you can decide from there, I could even pop over quickly this evening if you PM quickly enough.

Well Pm'ed the Big Man just waiting for a shout back, got to admit I am heartend by whats been said so far!! :)

Just found a clutch kit in the parts bin, so no matter what I would have the bits to fix it.

Well that was really illumination, learnt more about an Alfa in an hour and a bit than all my studying online before and after purchase!!

Looks like its the Clutch kit required and a few other bits but im sure Smakey will do a proper run down but no where near as bad (Or Expensive) as I had feared!!

Im actually chuffed! :D

Massive thanks to Smakey and to this Site for the help provided!!

Peter

Well that was really illumination, learnt more about an Alfa in an hour and a bit than all my studying online before and after purchase!!

Looks like its the Clutch kit required and a few other bits but im sure Smakey will do a proper run down but no where near as bad (Or Expensive) as I had feared!!

Im actually chuffed! :D

Massive thanks to Smakey and to this Site for the help provided!!

Peter

Oi I'm chief brown noser!!!!

Glad he helping you out and diagnosing the fault!

Forgot to say Pete, there's a meeting of forum members on tomorrow evening just up past Faringdon, come along if you like and put some more faces to names. Info is in my sig below.

Won't be able to make that one guys, but I'm hoping to be at the Wiltshire one in feb! :)

Fingers crossed about the repair work on Tuesday although the weather don't look promising! :facepalm:

Well as expected the weather was pretty horrendous so no fix today!

Taking the car up Liverpool next week hopefully it will be ok until I can rendezvous with Smaky sometime soon!

Pete

Well as expected the weather was pretty horrendous so no fix today!

Taking the car up Liverpool next week hopefully it will be ok until I can rendezvous with Smaky sometime soon!

Pete

It'll be fine, but the coolant needs sorting urgently.

Coolant is being sorted tommorow, couldn't find Red anti-freeze anywhere and the halfords is on the stop list for it tomorrow :)

Cheers for letting me know happier now to know it will do the journey ok :)

Peter

Right, arrived back! Liverpool to Wrexham then down through wales (a483/a70) most enjoyable ride I've ever had in a car was grinning from ear to ear that car is so fun to drive!

However, on arriving back to Swindon I got stuck in traffic and the engine temp rose to 90c and sat there until we got moving again, no problems there I thought!

Parked up at home came out an hour later to grab some bits, start here up, engine check light has appeared!

Had this once before a week ago and had the error cleared after I changed the coolant, any ideas? :\