Sign in to follow this  
LJ_GQV

Strange leak?

I park my car on the road outside my house (passenger side on the kerb,drivers side on the road so its always parked on an angle) and i've found some water on the passenger seat twice now :Confused: its not a puddle but it is more than just a few drips of water.

1st time was a few weeks ago after it had been raining. At 1st i thought maybe its just where i opened the (passenger) door the rain water had been 'pulled' in but it was in the middle of the seat where i thought if it had come from the door it would have left a trail of water to where it was :Confused:. Anyway, cleared it up and checked everywhere above the seat, round the door seals etc. pretty much everywhere on the passenger side and im not sure if the footwell 'might' have been a bit wet too. Can't quite remember though :rolleyes: and its been fine since :)

2nd time was tonight, i washed the car earlier then went to go out a bit later on but i'd already opened the boot so the interior light was on. As i pulled the handle to open the door im sure i saw the water already on the seat, same place as before and roughly the same amount. I dried it all again and checked everywhere buy still no sign of anywhere else being wet :Confused: I didn't check the floor again though as i forgot but nothing on the headlining, interior light, door seal, no water on the inside of the glass (i thought maybe the water had got in if the window was slightly open)

Both times its been dark so i couldn't have a proper look but it just seems too close to the center of the car to have come from a window. if it helps i did get a (very bad) photo of it on my phone but its not great.

Any suggestions would be great because i have no idea

Mate of mine had water running in through the interior light :Confused: that's all I can suggest, but at that angle it would drip the other way.... Hmmmmm

There's lights 'in' the sun visors (when you open the flap on the mirror) if thats whst you mean? but i pulled the sunvisor down to check behind there aswell & i couldn't see anything there either

There's lights 'in' the sun visors (when you open the flap on the mirror) if thats whst you mean? but i pulled the sunvisor down to check behind there aswell & i couldn't see anything there either

Ah, no, you have the other type, anyway I'd be suspecting the windscreen seal, Door seals or if it's an SW the rear washer hose to be leaking then.

cheers smaky :thumbs: maybe the door seal if the footwell was wet,

ill have to keep an eye on it or go out there with the hose and just drench the car to see if i can make it happen again while im out there :). Door seal should be easy enough to change but i doubt the windscreen seal would be an easy 1, would it?

cheers smaky :thumbs: maybe the door seal if the footwell was wet,

ill have to keep an eye on it or go out there with the hose and just drench the car to see if i can make it happen again while im out there :). Door seal should be easy enough to change but i doubt the windscreen seal would be an easy 1, would it?

Windscreen would require removal and refitting.

I forgot to add that you should ensure the gaps by the bonnet hinge are clear aswell as the scuttle drain just next to the ABS unit, if these are blockeing up with leaves and such then this can cause the heater to flood and the water comes through there.

ill check the scuttle drains then :thumbs: it has had a new windscreen at some point in its life as it hasn't got the alfa branding on it so hopefully thats not an issue but knowing my luck, it will be the windscreen :grr:. 1st check will be the drains though. thanks :)

I poured loads of water over it earlier & made it leak :thumbs: its the wndscreen seal but its not dripping onto the headlining which is why that wasn't wet. Looks like the water builds up somehow as the drip gets faster after a few seconds so at least i found it, just need to repair it

i had another look with a mate earlier and you can actualy move the windscreen in and out if you push it :LOL:. i think it'll be coming out :sad:

i had another look with a mate earlier and you can actualy move the windscreen in and out if you push it :LOL:. i think it'll be coming out :sad:

I think so too.

I got a quote from Autoglass to refit it, £116.70. Not sure if thats good or bad though :Confused: only ever had a chip repaired :LOL: