Sign in to follow this  
Symon

The BMW thread

Add another one.

Had a look at a white M3 with Competition Pack and fantastic 7speed DCT semi auto box. Really, really nice and very tempting indeed.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Tapatalk

Do it, I would if I could afford to.

Maybe not in white, but they do seem to suit it better than most cars, especially when they have the black roof and wheels.

Thats the thing, I didn't want one for years. Now I have one, I can't see me going back to Alfa anytime soon.

Thats the thing, I didn't want one for years. Now I have one, I can't see me going back to Alfa anytime soon.

just as well i haven't got any mates who've got them, else i'd be going, let us have a drive. then i'd be like you, i never knew i wanted one till i had a go in one.

I had an E36 328 for just over a year, which is a pretty long time for me where cars are concerned!

Very impressive car - nippy, handled nicely, well built, not even that bad on petrol considering it was a 2.8 litre straight six.

A really well rounded package. Couldn't really fault it at all!

But my god, was it boring! No real character or involvement in the drive. Don't miss it even slightly! :LOL:

I was expecting my 528 to be a bit boring and lacking in character, but it isn't.

It will go sideways when you want it, the engine sounds great, and depending on whether you are driving fast or just cruising it does either very well.

throw the mtech suspension pack into that mix and you have a surprisingly nimble car in the twisties too.

throw the mtech suspension pack into that mix and you have a surprisingly nimble car in the twisties too.

It is good enough as it is, and rides over potholes really well.

I wouldn't want to ruin the ride by stiffening it up.

I do like beemers...and don't understand the negetivity about them!

I had a 320 Coupe SE (silver with red leather) before my current alfa - it was a gorgeous car and I loved driving it but my passion is for Italian cars :cool:

My average mileage over the last few weeks. This is mixed driving, some motorway, some stop start.

MPG.jpg

Aint bad for a big car with a biggish petrol engine.

my passion is for Italian cars :cool:

I thought your passion was for me! :Confused:

I'm crushed. :cry:

Over-rated, overpriced and suprisingly poor design on the rear brakes, rear springs snap easier than tooth picks, front shocks have more leaks than Wales and that nasty compact driving area.

Over-rated, overpriced and suprisingly poor design on the rear brakes, rear springs snap easier than tooth picks, front shocks have more leaks than Wales and that nasty compact driving area.

All of them?

OK BMW experts, some E36 questions:

1. Is a 318i really gutless?

2. Is the rear legroom any good (if there's a six footer in the driver's seat, can someone with legs fit behind him?)?

3. How does a small six cylinder car compare to a 156 TS on fuel consumption?

All of them?

OK BMW experts, some E36 questions:

1. Is a 318i really gutless?

2. Is the rear legroom any good (if there's a six footer in the driver's seat, can someone with legs fit behind him?)?

3. How does a small six cylinder car compare to a 156 TS on fuel consumption?

1. Not gutless as such, more "Unremarkable"

2. It isn't great but ok on a small journey.

3.Don't know, and i think plenty of other car makers would like to know the answer too.

Not sure I agree with Smakys comments either. Despite being 13 years old my E39 feels pretty much Bomb proof.

Compared to an S reg E class Merc at work the build quality and rust protection is far better. You would't expect to see a rusty Merc. But this one has more holes than a Bangkok brothel.

1. Not gutless as such, more "Unremarkable"

2. It isn't great but ok on a small journey.

3.Don't know, and i think plenty of other car makers would like to know the answer too.

Not sure I agree with Smakys comments either. Despite being 13 years old my E39 feels pretty much Bomb proof.

Compared to an S reg E class Merc at work the build quality and rust protection is far better. You would't expect to see a rusty Merc. But this one has more holes than a Bangkok brothel.

Mercs seem to have more rust issues than anything else apart from Ford Kas.

Fiestas are pretty bad too. However our Puma is pretty much Rust free, aparrently Fords made in Germany are rust proofed better than those made in Spain.

Alfa 156's rust badly too, or at least my last one did. It put me off Alfa a bit to be honest.

Fiestas are pretty bad too. However our Puma is pretty much Rust free, aparrently Fords made in Germany are rust proofed better than those made in Spain.

Alfa 156's rust badly too, or at least my last one did. It put me off Alfa a bit to be honest.

That's been true of Fords for years. Ghia versions of any given model were usually German-built and were far less rust prone that pov-spec British-built cars.

I have a love-hate relationship with Beemers, they've made some of my favourite cars, and also some of my least favourite.

Favourites:

E30 M3 (of course)

Anything with a 70's 80's shark nose - E12, E24, E21 etc

Most Alpinas

E39 M5

Z8 - apparently drives like a dog, but it looks fabulous

Z1 - thinking mans 70s/80s supercar?

Least Favourites:

1-series hatch. Clarkson was right, it looks like a breadvan

E90 3-series. Bland to start with, but made worse by utter ubiquity. I'm simply sick of looking at them.

X5: Ewww!

X3: Ewww!

X1: Ewww!

X6: Ewww! (a pattern starting to emerge here....)

Having said that, I'm a bit of a 16year old fanboy here, as I've only ever owned one Beemer, an E60 520D MSport, and only ever driven one other type, an E90 320D. The fiver was comfortable to sit in, hideously hard riding (far worse than my TI), well build, handled very well, remarkably economical, a tad slow. In summary, easy to admire, and hard to fall in love with.

I must admit, I have similar feelings to Matt about modern BMWs. I've owned a few nice Bimmers over the years, but they've all been of the good-looking variety (i.e. before Chris Bangle rocked up and vomited over the drawing board).

Of all the BMWs I've owned, my favourite was an E38 740i, which was an absolute beast of a sports limo! :LOL:

PS: Just to be really geeky, Bimmer is the nickname for BMW cars. Beemer is the nickname for BMW motorbikes. :cool:

Old school 7-series bimmers (I stand corrected) are cool, especially if they have mahooosive wheels. The bangle ones are a bit off, as you say

The E46 coupe was also quite a pretty car. I actually prefer them in boggo 330 Ci form to the E46 M3, which is a bit 'steroidal'..

That said, we had an M-sport 320d as a courtesy car last year and I hated it. Very narrow power band, absolutely shocking ride quality, dreadfully uncomfortable seats and fairly poxy economy.

Thats mad, cos ours has been nothing but awesome, it's the E92 Coupe version though, I was discussing this with Al the other night and he said much the same as you. How can the saloon and the coupe be so different?

That said, we had an M-sport 320d as a courtesy car last year and I hated it. Very narrow power band, absolutely shocking ride quality, dreadfully uncomfortable seats and fairly poxy economy.

Thats mad, cos ours has been nothing but awesome, it's the E92 Coupe version though, I was discussing this with Al the other night and he said much the same as you. How can the saloon and the coupe be so different?

If someone were to hold a gun to my head, hand me a massive wodge of cash, march me into a BMW dealership, and force me to choose a new one, it would be an E92 coupe (or possibly a 1-seriesM, which look pretty good)

P.S., if somebody actually WANTS to hand me a massive wodge of cash and force me to buy a new BMW, I can PM you my details..

(please)

M cars are cool. I even like the 1M :)

I'd kill for a Z8