Sign in to follow this  
Symon

The BMW thread

I just had to start this.

Please post here, if you like BMW's and why.

I like the way they drive, the build quality, and the fact that you never get one with worn out indicators. :clown:

I had a 1 series 4 months ago and I honestly couldn't drive it, it was so uncomfortable, sorry :( it was the M Sport model ( apparently top of the range) so glad to get rid as it gave me terrible backache.

I've had more than I care to count. They aren't without their issues but all mine have been great cars.

Dave, I think it might just be what you;re used to. The available driving positions in a bmw are very different to an alfa. I found my alfa very uncomfy on long trips but never had the same problem with a bmw.

Our old Z3 was a cracking little car, they do have many cars i desire, even down to the lowly 318is in 30 and 36.

The Z3 was a pleasure to work on, very clever little touches to make things easier, you had to find them though, yup i will have a BMW again..... :thumbs:

If I get another e30 I'll take you for a spin some day, might change your mind ;)

I've never actually owned one but I wouldn't rule it out. I missed out on a very nice 523 for buttons because my mate is a knobber.

That said, we had an M-sport 320d as a courtesy car last year and I hated it. Very narrow power band, absolutely shocking ride quality, dreadfully uncomfortable seats and fairly poxy economy.

Had a '95 E34 525 Touring for a few years until recently. It was still going strong, but costing too much at the pumps.

I've replaced it with a newer 320d, with the intention of running biodiesel.

I like(d) them both...decent build quality...fairly easy to work on...parts aren't too expensive. That's about all, really!

Oh, and great fun in the snow! :D

I am looking forward to trying mine in the snow. The last time I had a RWD in the snow was my TVR, and I really didn't want to risk crashing that.

I did see you on BMWLand by the way Iain.

My other half currently owns an E36 328i Sport Coupe and at first I was actually impressed by it. So much so, i wanted one. However, after driving it a few times, and then driving my alfa, there's a few niggles that are holding me back:

1. The driving position isn't the most comfortable for me. The wheel seems too close and the pedals seem too far away. I've tried every position under the sun and can't find a comfortable spot.

2. Heavy handling. The steering just seems too heavy. Call me wimpy or whatever, but my 156 just seems to handle better somehow, it feels lighter and more nimble, almost like it could run rings around the bimmer.

3. Fuel costs. It's a 2.8 engine with the "mandatory" M50 inlet manifold, BBTB and remap. Probably running around 220 bhp (not dyno'd yet, so just an estimate) so it's a bit on the thirsty side.

4. Soppy arse end. Rear suspension just seems too spongy and bounces way too much for my liking. I know it can be upgraded, but this is supposed to be "sport" suspension from BMW!

BMWs I have owned:

1989 E34 525i SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1991 E34 530i (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1990 E32 730i SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1991 E32 730i SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1995 E38 740i SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1981 E21 320 (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

BMWs I have driven:

1997 E39 520i (lovely motor, bit underpowered.)

1991 E34 520i (lovely motor, bit underpowered.)

2009 E60 520d SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1988 E30 316i (waaaay too basic for me to like, frankly.)

:LOL:

so... lovely motor, cracking drive pretty much sums up your thoughts on any bmw as long as it doesnt have a girly engine?

ps, e30's are basic, thats the appeal... basic and fun... oh, wait you had a 316... no, they're basic and soul destroying. :|

I will say that my E39 528 is probably the best all round car I have owned.

Even though it is getting on, I have hardly needed to spend any money on it.

If it had been an Alfa, I would have had to replace half the suspension and changed the cambelt by now.

The Missus still wants me to sell it and get something more ordinary. How about a Ford? I said.

That didn't go down well considering our Puma has been nothing but trouble since we bought it.

BMWs I have owned:

1989 E34 525i SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1991 E34 530i (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1990 E32 730i SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1991 E32 730i SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1995 E38 740i SE (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

1981 E21 320 (lovely motor, cracking drive. Loved it.)

Did you work for What Car? Sounds like their standard BMW review, even if they've not driven it.

How about the little German People's Car?

I will say that my E39 528 is probably the best all round car I have owned.

Even though it is getting on, I have hardly needed to spend any money on it.

If it had been an Alfa, I would have had to replace half the suspension and changed the cambelt by now.

The Missus still wants me to sell it and get something more ordinary. How about a Ford? I said.

That didn't go down well considering our Puma has been nothing but trouble since we bought it.

Good to hear you still have it :thumbs:

I had a feeling it would linger on your drive for a while. ;) Are you just holding out for the right offer or did you win the battle with the wife?

It was a case of one car is going, but which one.

I would have been more than happy to keep the Puma, it is great to drive and economical. However it just doen't have enough space.

I woulnd't mind swapping the 528 for a 530 at a later date though. That 3.0 engine is a masterpiece.

so... lovely motor, cracking drive pretty much sums up your thoughts on any bmw as long as it doesnt have a girly engine?

Got it in one. :LOL:

Did you work for What Car? Sounds like their standard BMW review, even if they've not driven it.

No, wouldn't touch What Car? with yours, mate. :tut:

Was more making the point that BMW made some very nice luxury saloon cars in the '80s and '90s, which you may have guessed is my favourite era for Bimmers. :cool:

How about the little German People's Car?

Yeah, not so bad. :) You can read all about what I think of it here:

http://www.alfadriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=150#p3650

:thumbs:

I had an e30 325i sport a few years ago, I was loads of fun, especially in the wet but as people have said the ride position isn't very good and it gave me back aches on long journeys!

And no matter what anyone tells you an e30 is NOT a classic car lol :D

Sent from my ibone using crapatalk :D

pfff... tell it to the insurance companies :P

Always had a bit of a soft spot for the E30 since my Mum bought a brand new one in 1988 which I, then at the tender of age of 17 managed to get sideways on a roundabout during an illicit night out in whilst the parents were away one weekend. Net result was clipping the kerb and causing several hundred pounds of damage before putting it back in the garage and hoping she wouldn't notice...........she did. :(

Not many excite me at the moment, seriously considered a Z4 last year but just wasn't that exciting to drive and Mrs RSK blanched at the very prospect of an X5 over a Disco but do like the following:

850i

Always fancied and still do one day a 7

E30 M3

130i/135i or 1M

M5 Touring

Love the old 507

That's about it.

rear disc, hub, drive shaft, arb and a few other bits... 2 hours work tops... you let yourself get caught? :facepalm:

As you know Sy I currently have that 97 323i Convertible. Great car, really enjoy it, but you know me, I get bored really quickly, lol. The only other convertible I have had was an MGF and there isn't any comparison when it comes to the build quality. Mine has a full electric folding roof which admittedly takes about 30 seconds to unfold, but it's water tight as hell unlike the MG.

The MGF was like a bath if we even had so much as light drizzle. Oh, and they were both the most unreliable pieces of crap I have ever owned. (Yeah, I had 2, what a twat, lol)

Add another one.

Had a look at a white M3 with Competition Pack and fantastic 7speed DCT semi auto box. Really, really nice and very tempting indeed.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Tapatalk