Sign in to follow this  
ACAPULCO AL

Power steering problem?

Power steering problem?

went down the shop last night, as soon as i started up the car i could hear a strange whining noise. never had it at all before. it sounds almost like a gearbox whine, but it's worst when turning at low speed. it's also still there when stationary in neutral and you turn the wheel. which leads me to think it must be something to do with the power steering, pump maybe?

anyone had this problem before? :Confused:

if it is the pump:

A) is it a big job to replace, how much ££ ?

B) am i ok driving it until friday which is the earliest opprtunity i have to get it to the garage?

cheers

al

I've had this in the past and I think it was the fluid level, it wasn't even especially low, but a top up sorted it.



If the fluid is low then do top it up and monitor it, if the level drops again then the leak needs to be found, it's probably down the timing belt side of the engine near the engine mount.

But try taking the Aux belt off too and start the engine, if the noise goes then also check the bearngs out too.

took it over to gus this evening, he reckons almost certainly new pump as it sounds like the bearings have gone. £450 fitted :(

on top of £60 windscreen excess last week, road tax last month...

i fuckin hate cars sometimes :grr:

took it over to gus this evening, he reckons almost certainly new pump as it sounds like the bearings have gone. £450 fitted :(

on top of £60 windscreen excess last week, road tax last month...

i fuckin hate cars sometimes :grr:

Not to question him but the alternator sounds exactly the same when it goes too, pumps rarely go on these unless youve been running it dry for a month or so, but the leak would still need to be found.

p/s fluid level looks fine, although gus gave it a slight top-up just in case. i doubt it's the alternator - if the car's stationary and in neutral, turn the wheel and it whines like a bitch. alternator would only whine more with revs?

p/s fluid level looks fine, although gus gave it a slight top-up just in case. i doubt it's the alternator - if the car's stationary and in neutral, turn the wheel and it whines like a bitch. alternator would only whine more with revs?

Not always.

Hi guys! I'm having a similar problem; I can hear some light grinding/whining from one of the pulleys occasionally, then out of the blue yesterday the car started groaning whenever I turn the steering. The groaning is especially noticable when turning at low speeds, I get the same sound even when turning the steering with the car stationary.

When I checked the steering fluid level this morning it wasn't especially low, but I noticed some froth after a 2 minute drive. Topped up the fluid but the noise is still around.

Will changing the power steering fluid bottle solve this, or would I need a new pump and pulley bearing as well? Thanks!

There're no leaks I can detect so far. I check the floor for fluids / oil every morning after pulling my car out of the driveway, a habit I developed after far too many adventures with a Xantia :D

Anyway, the fluid level was normal and clear when I checked just now, but after turning the steering lock to lock about 6 times, the fluid level has dropped drastically. Started the engine, turned the steering a bit and the level is up again but it's all frothy this time, steering turns lighter after this but it still groans. I guess this indicates a lot of air within the system?

I now suspect that the whining from the aux drive area is from the PAS pump too. Not sure if it helps but I'll try removing the aux belt to single out the whining later. Gonna try steering with engine off then topping fluid again too!

Is there anything else I should try or look for?

Hi again guys! Turned out that there really was a lot of air in the power steering system! I filled the tank to the brim, turned the steering lock to lock about 10 times until I can't see anymore froth, and the steering is all light and silent again, even the noise from the aux drive has disappeared :D

I think for the level to have dropped in the first place yu have a leak somewhere, you'd best keep an eye on the levels.

Yep, that's my only remaining worry about the pump and tank! I've kinda forgot to check it for the past 2 months and the grinding noise has been there for quite a while so I'm not sure how fast the fluid disappeared, gonna check it weekly from now! Thanks Smaky!

*Sigh* You're right as always Smaky; there must have been a very minute leak previously. This morning I noticed ATF behind the left front wheel, checked that the Selespeed tank is nicely filled so no problems there. This evening I noticed the steering groaning again so I added some ATF3 (it was low again) before the drive and bought another bottle on the way home just to be safe. By the time I got home the slow leak on the left side has kinda developed into a rapid drip on the right side under the aux drive area. My floorway is all red now but the Power Steering fluid level is still high, I guess that'll all change once the pump kicks into action. And the best part? The fuel pump top I covered with steelweld is leaking again, joy!

Why can't Italian cars hold their fluids properly?? :(

Alright, so the diagnosis from the workshop is a steering rack leaking from both sides. They said it isn't possible to fix the steering rack and offered to fit a used one with 6 months' warranty.

Is it true that it can't be fixed? From what I understand the oil is held within the power cylinder by 2 end seals, so I was thinking new end seals should fix the problem if the insides of the cylinder is still fine.

Oil seals in the rack can be replaced, but I wouldn't envy the person attemptig it, the guide bushings can wear so leakes at both ends are possible, I think the replacement option is best.

Advice taken Smaky; told workshop to go ahead and replace the rack, gonna be parting with RM1800 or about 380GBP later :( Just curious so gonna take my old rack back try my luck reconditioning it as a spare.

Btw, someone did suggest to me that flushing the fluids from the brake, engine, steering systems maybe once every 2-3 years as leak prevention maintenance. From past service receipts my car's gotten an engine, cooling, aircond and brake flush in the past year. I'm sure new fluids will do the systems good but does the leak prevention part hold any truth?

Btw, someone did suggest to me that flushing the fluids from the brake, engine, steering systems maybe once every 2-3 years as leak prevention maintenance. From past service receipts my car's gotten an engine, cooling, aircond and brake flush in the past year. I'm sure new fluids will do the systems good but does the leak prevention part hold any truth?

Fluids degrade over time and should be replaced every 2 years, especially brake fluid.

Power steering problem?

went down the shop last night, as soon as i started up the car i could hear a strange whining noise. never had it at all before. it sounds almost like a gearbox whine, but it's worst when turning at low speed. it's also still there when stationary in neutral and you turn the wheel. which leads me to think it must be something to do with the power steering, pump maybe?

anyone had this problem before? :Confused:

if it is the pump:

A) is it a big job to replace, how much ££ ?

B) am i ok driving it until friday which is the earliest opprtunity i have to get it to the garage?

cheers

al

same problem just arrived on my 159. fingers crossed new res and fluid will fix it. there goes my morning tomorrow :rolleyes:

The chances are that the leak is from the bracket which holds the pipes against the subframe just behind the N/S driveshaft, easy enough to solve with a sleeve, just awkward to get at.