Sign in to follow this  
alfamack

The VW thread

So since that other german marque have a thread, I'll start one on VW.

I've a great little Golf, Mk4, 1.8turbo, tuned to about 200bhp and it really needs it's suspension sorting, but in a straight line,FOOK ME! :tongue:

Mk4 was about when it stopped going right for vw, especially in the looks dept. The mkV is... erm, interesting :|

One of my favourite ever cars was a mk1 golf driver. Revvy as hell little 1.6 4 pot, that dark green colour everyone goes on about, P-slot alloys... sooo much fun to throw around. Not especially quick but it just stuck to the road in the corners.

I sold it for £250 by the side of the road (about 10yrs ago) in mint condition but with overheating issues... it would be worth 10 times that or more now :cry:

I still hanker after a MKII GTI.

Me too K. I have always loved the Mk2 GTi's but since my neighbour/mate bought a totally standard big bumpered Mk2 GTI 16v a few months ago, me and my missus drive past it parked up regularly and look at it longingly, its a beaut and he only paid £950 for it.

My missus has a Mk3 GTI 16v at the mo which has been faultless but it hasnt got a fraction of the character that the Mk2 has. The force is strong with her which is kind of an excuse for me to sort something out with one, recognising that this is a very rare situation.

One of the main problems with us getting another car though is we have no driveway or garage. If my house had a driveway or garage I would have bought one by now and put the 2.0 16v abf motor and box from her 3 into the 2 and made it sweet but we have a space/storage issue.

Regardless, im still on PH regular looking for potentials. :LOL:

Probably end up with one at some point in the future though.

Finally, a thread I can properly get involved in. :thumbs::LOL:

You lot probably already know what I think of my Golf, but for those who don't, here's the summary:

2004 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 GT TDi 140 DSG (5-door)

THE GOOD:

- It's properly fast (2.0 TDi, 140 bhp, 236 lb/ft torque).

- The 6-speed DSG gearbox is the dog's bollocks.

- The driving position is pretty much spot on.

- I love the blue backlit dials. I know, I know, I'm sad!

- The handling's great when pressing on (GT TDi spec comes with the Golf GTi chassis & ESP software settings).

- An average of 75 mpg is possible on a long motorway run (if you're careful with the throttle), with an average of 50 mpg easily achievable in mixed driving.

THE BAD:

- It's a bit bland looking, in a non-offensive, indifferent kind of way.

- The stereo's crap.

- When you're hypermiling it behind trucks on the motorway to extract maximum fuel economy, the stiffness of the sporty chassis gets a bit annoying.

THE UGLY:

- It smokes like a bastard if you drive it like you just stole it. In fairness, it only smokes heavily once per thrash-session, the first time you boot it. After that, the exhaust runs pretty clear.

- The stereo really is crap. The sound quality is a bit like a 1980s Alba Hi-Fi.

- The on-board computer is a lying son of a bitch (to the tune of 5 mpg more optimistic than reality, as confirmed by Fuelly).

- An average of 75 mpg is possible on a long motorway run (if you're careful with the throttle), with an average of 50 mpg easily achievable in mixed driving.

you're gay. I bet you cry at jerry maguire too. :facepalm:

i would never really want to own anything except an alfa but i wouldn't say no to a 259166.jpg

i would rat style it to hell and back!

That's the last time I open up to you, ya heartless bastard. :$

:LOL:

I've had a mk1 karmann convertible, a couple of mk2 gti's one severly ratted, that much the local plod did a check to see if it was dumped!! And a mk3 gti

My mate has a mk4 r32 turbo which he's spent a small fortune on, fair play it's quick especially with the extended gears!

But to be honest, even with mods and the looks and following etc give me an Alfa anyday!

They look loads better and drive like nothing else!

Sent from my ibone using crapatalk :D

That's the last time I open up to you, ya heartless bastard. :$

:LOL:

I got given my last warning for that :biglol:

I've had a mk1 karmann convertible, a couple of mk2 gti's one severly ratted

did someone mention ratted karmann cabs?

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

Yeah yeah I know... matching cars is gay... meh. :P

Had an R32 Mk 5 with DSG - loved it.

Agree with Morgan, DSG is a wonderful thing indeed.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Tapatalk

So since that other german marque have a thread, I'll start one on VW.

I've a great little Golf, Mk4, 1.8turbo, tuned to about 200bhp and it really needs it's suspension sorting, but in a straight line,FOOK ME! :tongue:

I had one of these.... I killed it with a massive understeer slide into a foot high kerb slinging me through a traffic island :LOL:

I had one of these.... I killed it with a massive understeer slide into a foot high kerb slinging me through a traffic island :LOL:

Nutter! :teehee: