Smaky

GUIDE - Replacing Selespeed pump motor brushes

I've started this with the motor removed from the car and the pump section taken off, but the pump can remain on the motor if you wish, so here goes...

1, Bend the tangs out a little to allow the motor sections to be seperated...

DSCF0407.jpg

2, Simply pull the 2 halves away from each other...

DSCF0409.jpg

3, Gently bend up the fork on the end of the brush holders and remove the spring and brushes from the guides...

DSCF0411.jpg

4, Depending on which brushes you get hold of you may need to shape them to fit the guides...

DSCF0413.jpg

5, Slide in the new brush, hold in the spring behind it and position the fork back down at the end to hold them both in...

DSCF0414.jpg

6, Cut the old brushes off and solder on the new ones to the wires...

DSCF0417.jpg

7, Put the 2 halves of the motor back together ensuring the wires align with the slot in the case...

8, Knock the case tangs back into place and test the motor with a 12V source.

DSCF0405.jpg

Refit the pump aasembly to the car and enjoy the £250 you just saved.

Hi there,

I have had my Alfa for about 8 months now and its time for the brushes to be replaced,that being said I have gone ahead and removed the reservoir for the pump and the bracket holding the sele in place.

My problem is that I am stuck due to a bolt that wont come lose and im scared of damaging other components in the pump. I have tried loosening the bolt with no effect so I wondered if it could be threaded the opposite way.

Basically I'm looking for advice on how to remove this bolt ( Outlet pipe to selespeed pump with bolt holding it into place.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=selesp ... =123&ty=73

If you have a look at the link it shows you number 4 (Inlet Pipe) and it is the pipe exactly next to it, the one going to the actual actuator.

Hope I have explained my situation and that someone could give me some advise on the matter which would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Pipe 4 is the pump feed pipe and the "Banjo" bolt on the pump end of it is a 19mm hex with standard RH thread, the other pipe has a 13mm union on it and is the high pressure pipe to the actuator, to remove these I actually take out the whole tray with these 2 pipes attached, I disconnect the pressure pipe and the return pipe from the actuator and pull them both up and through as I wiggle the tray complete with pump out the top of the wing, it takes about an hour start to finish this way to replace the brushes.

Hope that helps

Alex

Hi,

That helped me allot.

Is there any advise you can give me to remove the pipes from the actuator:

Would I need any special tools ? and also is there any part of the engine that I would have to remove in order to get the pipes wiggled out the tray section ?

And one last thing did you have to bleed the system and if so how did you do it ?

I very much appreciate your advice and thanks in advance for my next question.

Mark

to remove the pump:

Remove air duct and filter box,

Remove battery and tray,

Remove the pump with it sill attached to the tray 2x 13mm bolts and a phillips screw after you've disconnected the pipes from the actuator 13mm and R-clic AND removed the reservior and pump supply pipe from the tray. It's a squeeze but it does come out, it may be tighter on the 147/GT as the snorkel gets in the way a bit but it does come out.

To remove the 19mm Banjo bolt (complete with 2 copper washers) and the 13mm union in that order, simply hold the pump section firmly and loosen them.

Thanks m8,

Sorry to bother you over and over again but does this replacement require any bleeding and if so how does it get done.

Thanks again for the help !

Mark

No bleeding required, just top the reservoir up to the top when you refill it the first time, turn the key to MAR then select gears for a few times and this will pump everything through.

Somewhere I came across the dimensions of the brushes required, but I'm buggered if I can find it now... Have you got the measurements...?

hey,

first of all, thanks for this useful guide smaky!

My Problem:

I'm trying to remove the pump to change brushes.

can you give me advice how to loose actuator pipe bolts? there are 2 bolts, i have to loose both at the same time or hold one and loose another? I'm scared, i don't want to damage something.

QSQN9TL.jpg

Hold the big one still and undo the smaller one that goes into it.

Hey,

I'm sorry for my NOOB questions, but stuck removing this bolt again, I'm holding big one and loosening small one, but no effect, tried a lot and only managed to damage bolt, it just doesn't comes out. Am i doing something wrong? is there any other way to remove the pump?

YW2uKoM.png

Thanks!

All done! Finally removed that bolt and changed brushes, everything works fine now!

Thanks Smaky! :Smug: