Sign in to follow this  
Jamz3k

147 twinspark manifold removal

Guys anyone got a walk thru on removing the manifold. It seems pretty straight forward but would rather know what I was getting myself in for incase I should leave it for a mechanic.

Where would I beable to buy manifold nuts incase they snap? what type/size should I be getting?

Where can I get the gasket "rings" that go between the manifold my downpipe? I got quoted a seriously rediculous price from the local dealer so like to buy elsewhere.

Thanks In Advance

James

Welcome to AlfaDriver

Our resident techy will be along in a while to answer your query. :thumbs:

OK, 147, I'll take it you have Aircon as 99% do. I recommend that any nut or bolt you need to undo is soaked in Plusgas before you attempt to undo it.

1. Disconnect Battery, -ve terminal first, jack up and support front of car and remove undertray.

2. Using a 15mm ring spanner with a bit of rope sit the spanner on the Aux belt tensioner in the 4 o'clock position, pull up on the rope and slide the aux belt off the IDLER, then feed the belt round the side of the A/C pump, unplug the A/C pump and r/h Lambda plug.

3. remove the 13 mm bolt from the support bracket to cats, remove the nuts and bolt from the manifold to down pipe, It will sit where it is for now.

4, remove the 10mm nut frm the lambda plug plug mount on the A/C pump and remove the bracket, next remove the 4X 13mm bolts that mount the A/C pump, pull the pump forward a bit and support with string.

5. remove the 5X 15mm bolts from the A/C mount, remove the bracket and ensure the 2 ferruls are present,

6, remove the 8 x 12mm nuts from the studs then simply remove the manifold, to get the gasket off then you also need to remove the 10mm bolt and 13mm nut from the water duct support.

Cheers Smaky,

Do you know if the downpipe "ring" gaskets can be bought anywhere else other than Alfa Romeo dealers? I got quoted absolutely silly money for them yesterday!

Cheers Smaky,

Do you know if the downpipe "ring" gaskets can be bought anywhere else other than Alfa Romeo dealers? I got quoted absolutely silly money for them yesterday!

Don't bother with them, just coat the faces of the downpipe and manifold with a film of copper grease and it will seal fine.

Trying to tackle this one today Smaky, the nuts are just deforming with very little pressure being put on them, its like they are made out of cheese! Any suggestions on removing them?

I've had them soaked in WD40 for the past few nights, some of the nuts came off without a problem, they just seem very soft!

Trying to tackle this one today Smaky, the nuts are just deforming with very little pressure being put on them, its like they are made out of cheese! Any suggestions on removing them?

I've had them soaked in WD40 for the past few nights, some of the nuts came off without a problem, they just seem very soft!

Are you using a 12mm socket?

Depending on if it's been off before someone may have used brass/copper nuts to reassemble it, if your on about the downpipe to center cat bolts then they are just probably rotten and don't use WD40, it's rubbish, get some Plusgas and use that to soak things before loosening.

i totally agree with Smaky about the Plusgas, Are using a six sided socket? or one of these multi segment/ universal sockets because they will round off most tight nuts> ( feels like l there is a joke in the sentence )