Sign in to follow this  
Smaky

When is the Cambelt due a change?

I'll keep this as simple as possible and then maybe it won't leave too many questions.

All figures are in miles and years, and are whichever comes first, so for example if you have a TS and it's done 14000 miles in 3 years then the belt is due, Also if it has done 36000 in 18 months then again it's due.

1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 TSpark engines : 36ooo miles / 3 years (reduced from 72000 / 5 years and change the water pump / variator everytime).

2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.2 V6 : 72000 / 5 years. (personally 50000 / 4 years and change the water pump everytime too)

2.0 JTS : 36000 / 3 years (reduced from 72000 / 5 years and change the water pump / variator everytime).

2.0 TS and JTS also have a balance belt which is replaced at the same time.

Or if ay maintennce of the engine is carried out which disturbs the belt.

Or for example you open the belt cover and it looks like this...

IMG_1774.jpg

Hey Smaky,

Fancy giving me a quote on getting the cambelt, water pump and variator done? Harry keeps saying I should ask you before going to the local garage with it :P

147 1.6 T Spark.

what engine is that smaky? Is it a lancia one by any chance? Never seen an alfa belt that thin except for on the 155 q4

Hey Smaky,

Fancy giving me a quote on getting the cambelt, water pump and variator done? Harry keeps saying I should ask you before going to the local garage with it :P

147 1.6 T Spark.

Sorry I've just noticed this,

PM Smaky if you want to discuss quotes etc Sphinx :thumbs:

@Smaky, I can't see that you've rocked any apple carts, Sphinx simply asked a question and I appreciate that you decided not to conduct business on AD, thanks :thumbs:

Hey Smaky,

147 1.6 T Spark.

Sorry I've just noticed this,

PM Smaky if you want to discuss quotes etc Sphinx :thumbs:

@Smaky, I can't see that you've rocked any apple carts, Sphinx simply asked a question and I appreciate that you decided not to conduct business on AD, thanks :thumbs:

No problem, this is where AO got it wrong, I'm not a buisness, just someone with a hobby (making use of 23 years experience of these specific cars) that enjoys turning spanners and meeting folk, and why not, forums are about meeting and helping each other out, I may go the route of opening a garage in the future, but ATM I am making the most of my down time by keeping your cars up time higher. I'm even running at a loss if your interested.

what engine is that smaky? Is it a lancia one by any chance? Never seen an alfa belt that thin except for on the 155 q4

It's a '99 156 cf2 2.5 V6 Busso, cambelts had beendone on ime rather tha milagedue to its low usage and was dealer serviced till this occasion, the cause is tapering of the tensioner pulley, allowingthe belt to slide off slowly in time, as Rewe says, it's been rubbing the cover, but not the top cover but the forward metal cover which has worn away andis now a nice V shape blade, but I don't think the car will see another MOT, I COULD GRAB THE LOOMS THROUGH THE FLOOR, where it had been jacked up on the sills before i had rotted through.

It's a '99 156 cf2 2.5 V6 Busso, cambelts had beendone on ime rather tha milagedue to its low usage and was dealer serviced till this occasion, the cause is tapering of the tensioner pulley, allowingthe belt to slide off slowly in time, as Rewe says, it's been rubbing the cover, but not the top cover but the forward metal cover which has worn away andis now a nice V shape blade, but I don't think the car will see another MOT, I COULD GRAB THE LOOMS THROUGH THE FLOOR, where it had been jacked up on the sills before i had rotted through.

I know of a dead 156 V6 that would be a perfect recipient for that engine when the car fails its MOT. :LOL:

Just wondered what your thoughts are on intervals for the diesels Smaky?

specifically a 159 with the 1.9 16v, cambelt was 'done' couple of years/ 20k ago but waterpump wasnt (!). car is now on 51k

and do you know anyone near oxford who could do a good job....

and are they any good at tracing an air con leak and noisy suspension...?

so many questions Big%20Grin.gif

Just wondered what your thoughts are on intervals for the diesels Smaky?

specifically a 159 with the 1.9 16v, cambelt was 'done' couple of years/ 20k ago but waterpump wasnt (!). car is now on 51k

and do you know anyone near oxford who could do a good job....

and are they any good at tracing an air con leak and noisy suspension...?

so many questions Big%20Grin.gif

The OFFICIAL line is 5 years or 72K miles, whichever is soonest.

My opinion is 48K or 4 years whichever is soonest and do the water pump every time (it is just another pulley after all).

Hi all probably the wrong forum,but I bought a 2001 Alfa 156 2 weeks ago,I've been using it to work and back,i haven't even used a tank of fuel yet and I've topped the selespeed oil 3 times,looking at previous forums I went thru the motions of checking gearbox levels,I've been told it takes 2 litres and I took 3 litres out,so I've comfirmed my selespeed oil is leaking into my gearbox(thanks seller)

I have removed the actuator and also discovered a crack on the gearbox(thanks again seller)now today I will remove the gearbox

Can anyone tell me where I can get O rings for the actuator,I've searched the web high and low,any help would be appreciated

I'm in Brisbane Australia

Cheers Andre