Sign in to follow this  
Joss

IHID conversion

They do mot's at work, I was sat in on one yesterday and asked about the hid kits.

Aslong as there the right colour and beam pattern that's all they can test!

Its coming in next year all the regs to do with them!

They do mot's at work, I was sat in on one yesterday and asked about the hid kits.

Aslong as there the right colour and beam pattern that's all they can test!

Its coming in next year all the regs to do with them!

It wont be retrospective though.

but what about cars that have aftermarket ones. Will mine be included in retrospective as I fitted mine a year or two ago?

technically they will be a fail as they're aftermarket but I know a lot of testers are adopting the 'if the colour and beam pattern is right, how was I to know they were HID's?' attitude to the new regs.

:LOL: Yup, though in my experience most testers are more interested in keeping cars on the road than failing them and sending them to the scrapyard.

Aside from a couple of dodgy money grabbing cowboys I've always found them to be pretty helpful when it comes to little petty things like bloody HID's. Either turning a blind eye or explaining ways to work round things.

In the case of HID's, they're not allowed to dismantle the car, so if they don't see the ballasts when they open the bonnet, how are they to know its got them ;)

Just read through the proposed law change with regards to HIDs, if they are fitted as standard then colour, pattern and aim are to be tested, if they are retrofitted then they are illegal. Basically if you have fitted a kit and the tester passes the car then you and they are breaking the law.

For me, I don't see where the law (in our case 'CU72', or the 'Construction And Use Of Motor Vehicles Act') needs clarifying. Vehicles can only show white lights to the front and red to the rear, amber indicators to both. There's never been any specified 'brightness' of either.

The 'Road Traffic Act', however, is constantly being ammended in over fussy and trendy ways, and is a bit of a hobby for the traffic coppers, who could declare very bright lamps a nuisance if they're in the mood.

For me, I don't see where the law (in our case 'CU72', or the 'Construction And Use Of Motor Vehicles Act') needs clarifying. Vehicles can only show white lights to the front and red to the rear, amber indicators to both. There's never been any specified 'brightness' of either.

The 'Road Traffic Act', however, is constantly being ammended in over fussy and trendy ways, and is a bit of a hobby for the traffic coppers, who could declare very bright lamps a nuisance if they're in the mood.

I agree.