Sign in to follow this  
moon_blue

underseal

Before winter I need to get underneath Bella Blue and give her a coating of underseal. What do you guys recommend?

wire brush first, coat of zinc paint on the bare patches then...

I don't like primers that claim to cover and cure rust. My experience is that they sit on top of it and it continues to fester underneath. Wire brush the rust then mix underseal and Waxoyl 50/50 and apply that.

I don't think you understand what the Zinc is for Keithy, it's a sacraficial layer that will corrode away before the steel, oh, and Waxoyl is a brand of underseal, so 100/100 underseal mix it is then. My personal favourite is Tetroseal.

I always treat floor pans like this- scrape all flaky paint off 1st (wear some goggles!) 4.5 inch angle grinder and a wire cup brush attatchment on the rusty bits and left over bits and bobs the I use jenolite liquid rust destroyer (the M.O.D use it on tanks, so good enough for me lol) then I use the "Acid etch" primer in cans you can buy from Halfords (good stuff) a bit of PU sealer on the pressed D tags then use Black waxoyl sprayed on then go round all the edges of the pans and joins with a brush to seal the seams!

I restore cars for a living so its easy for me on a ramp!

Anybody want some help message me! Advice is free!

As said above already, a good wire brushing & clean off.

A good zinc rich primer or rust convertor on any iffy looking bits followed by a good coating of underseal which has Waxoyl in it.

I actually use a product called POR15 I got from Frost's after a friend recommended it.

So far Ive used it on my sub frame, suspension parts and of course the floor pan itself.

Doesnt look like much in the tin but let me tell ya... its awesome. Goes on easily as its quite thin, sets to a rock hard finish that will not chip/crack o flake etc.

Google it. Seriously. its like liquid powder coating.