Sign in to follow this  
Grimsqueaker

Catch Tank, Purpose Of?

Hi folks,just noticed the latest acquisition has a half pint catch tank coming off the selespeed fluid reservoir.

What's its purpose? Is it a solution or a "bodge"

Hi,fellow selespeeder!

The reservoir has a breather tube coming out of the cap and this tube ( on my SW 156, anyway) feeds through the wing and out of a gap in the wheel-arch liner. I assume this is to stop excess fluid from an overfill running all over the inside of the engine bay. I don't know if some version supplied a catch tank, but it seems a reasonable alternative to a puddle on the floor! Smaky, no doubt will know the truth.

Regards from ralphalfa

Hi,fellow selespeeder!

The reservoir has a breather tube coming out of the cap and this tube ( on my SW 156, anyway) feeds through the wing and out of a gap in the wheel-arch liner. I assume this is to stop excess fluid from an overfill running all over the inside of the engine bay. I don't know if some version supplied a catch tank, but it seems a reasonable alternative to a puddle on the floor! Smaky, no doubt will know the truth.

Regards from ralphalfa

It's exactly that, but they were NEVER factory fitted, obviously done by someone who doesn't know the correct way to top it up and constantly overfilled it.

Smaky, as always, is 100% correct.

Just a point I thought I might mention too, it can also overflow due to a faulty accumulator that is on its way out. Just make sure that you can get 2-3 changes before the pump fires up and your laughing.

Baz