drayco

Gt Selespeed Won't Start

Hi

A Selespeed issue, but I can't find anything similar on any of the forums.

I have a 2005 GT Selespeed that won't start. This all started after driving to work through heavy rai and being unable to start the car 8 hours later when I finished work.

When I use MES to check for errors, the engine ecu reports U1701 which seems to mean no communication with Sele ecu over the CANbus.

MES won't connect to the Sele ecu; when I check the Body computer, it says the Sele ecu is defined but not found.

I've cleaned the gearbox earth, checked the fuses and relays, which all seem OK. I've checked the multi-pin plug, cleaned it and replaced it with no result.

I've charged the battery (less than 1 year old) and tried another fully charged battery without any success.

When I open the driver's door after connecting the battery, the pump primes and a high pitch tone sounds which I think is the alarm for a sele fault. Gear N shows on the dash until I turn the key to MAR at which point the gear indicator goes blank.

I'm all out of ideas; anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

I think that you've splashed the actuators electrics, normally just disconnecting the battery, holding the red and black wires together for a few seconds then reconnecting the battery sorts this.

Not at all, just that it threw a wobbly, normally it's a one off thing and once the connectors are dried out and resealed it never happens again.

Tried disconnecting battery and connecting red to black on car, presumably this discharges any residual charge in electronic units, but no joy. Egie ecu still doesn't see the sele ecu.

Any thoughts on the next thing to try?

OK, Is the N steady on the dash before you try to start.

Can you hear a click from the passengers footwell when you turn the key?

Does the starter spin?

There's no display at all in the gear display section of the dash; it's blank. I think this may be because the sele ecu isn't sending any data. I don't hear a click from the passenger footwell when I turn the key and the starter doesn't spin.

There is a high pitched alarm when I open the driver's door, which I think is the Selespeed alarm

Either the battery terminals are loose, the earth strap is shot or the battery is flat, I'd recommend you try a jump start first.

Battery is nearly new and fully charged. I've cleaned the battery terminals and the earth strap where it bolts on to the gearbox. Everything else electrical seems to work except sele functions.

Possibly the start relay at fault, this is located behind the cover panel in the passengers footwell with the sele ecu

I've had every fuse out and checked them; the fuses I could identify for the sele I've swapped with others of the same value. Really scratching my head here.

The next thing I was going to try was to trace continuity on the actuator wiring back to the ecu connector to see if it is the wiring harness causing a problem.

What the fault is saying is that the Sele ECU is not recognised on the CanBus, this may be a proxy alignment, or dead ECU, but until continuity is checked we wont know, BUT if you've had ANY of the ECUs plugs off then check you haven't bent any pins in them.