Sign in to follow this  
Ram_159

Alfa 159 Selespeed Ghost...

Hello everybody, I'm the owner of an Alfa 159 2.2JTS Selespeed 2011, I love the car, however the AR service in my country (Colombia) is really bad, they don't have any clue about my case and I'm having an annoying trouble.

The name of the topic is because there is something really strange with my car.

Everything started when I leaved my car parked for more than two weeks without using it. When I tried to use it, the battery was totally dead. The battery had 1 year only but I changed for a new one, then, two months later I had to leave again my car parked for two weeks and again when I tried to use it, the doors at least this time opened but the car didn't started and the battery was dead again.

I started to search for the reason and one day spending a lot of time around the car, I noticed that when the car was off, parked and with all doors closed, the selespeed pump started working for a few seconds to charge the pressure and then stopped again, and this process repeated all time.

So the reason of the battery discharge was clear, in one our the pump can start at least 10 times, but why is this happening when the car is off? This may be normal with the car ON or at least in MAR but not when is turned off, I started to use the MES with the appropriate cable and there was no faults or errors in the gearbox, also I noticed that the door signal was refreshing ok in the system.

I tried to make a proxy alignment but of course nothing changed, however the last thing I noticed is the strangest one, If I leave the car off with the driver's door open, the pump doesn't start to prime, I can leave it several minutes and it won't start, but as soon as I close the door, the pump starts to work, even if I lock the car and it will continue doing it periodically.

This is working like the opposite as it must work, I know that the pump must start as soon as the door is open, but in my case this doesn't happens, but the strange thing is that the MES when is connected to the CFC300, reports the status of the door correctly.

I must say that the gearbox works perfectly when the car is running, the pressure of the system goes from 37 to 45 bar starting and stopping the pump as is required, the gears works as intended, but the problem is that to avoid the drain of the battery I'm forced to disconnect the marelli CFC300 every time that I'm leaving my car parked for more that one day.

Unfortunately when the car is off, is not possible to connect to any of the CPU's and is not possible to check the status of the signals.

Any advise or idea will be very helpful, I tried to disconnect the big connector of the driver's door but in this case the pump starts with the door open or closed.

Sorry for the long history, thank you in advance!

Alejandro

2 ideas to start.

1, Take off the drivers door connector and check the wiring into the back of the plug to ensure they are all pushed in correctly and that none of the wires are shorting each other, also do the same with the socket side in the body, also check to see if the interior light is coming on when this is happening.

2, Check the wiring to the pump relay is sound and I'd also replace the relay in case.

2 ideas to start.

1, Take off the drivers door connector and check the wiring into the back of the plug to ensure they are all pushed in correctly and that none of the wires are shorting each other, also do the same with the socket side in the body, also check to see if the interior light is coming on when this is happening.

2, Check the wiring to the pump relay is sound and I'd also replace the relay in case.

Thank you, I will check the connector, the strange thing is that the light turns on when I open the door, also the dashboard shows the status of the door open or close correctly... and so the MES... it´s really weird.

About the relay, I removed every relay in the big black box next to the battery but it seems none of them is the pump relay, is there any other place to find it?

DSC_0135_zpsl6zdjzxn.jpg

IMG_20150812_203000_zpsbmhylb9k.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Hello Smaky, I checked the connector and everything seems to be ok, also the light turns on when I open the door.

But, I need information about the relay located in the T08 position in the engine bay relay box. As you can see in my picture there is a white relay in that position different to the others. Today I noticed that if I use that relay in another position, for example the horn or the lights, it will activate the device of that position, the horn started to sound and the lights turned on immediatly with the car off.

The T08 is marked as "shunt", is normal that this relay is different to the others? what is this relay controlling? I disconnected it but the pump continued starting.

Thank you in advance.

This white relay is indeed a shunt, meaning that it is there to bridge a circuit for a system you don't have fitted to allow another system to continue to operate, could be a cooling fan bypass if you only have one fan for example.