Sign in to follow this  
sal12349956

Selespeed Advice Needed

Hi All... First time posting here. I've been having troubles with the selespeed gearbox. Shows gear not found message whilst driving. I've topped up the selespeed oil and that got rid of the warning but i noticed that it's leaking quite significantly. I've got a pic of the part i think is causing the leak. if possible can i share it with one of the experts here and see if/how i can replace it or if there is another problem... Any advice/help would be much appreciated. Thanks

The leaking part I'm told is the gear selection sensor. Is it something that's easily replaceable? The part number printed on the part is Pf7c/00 1709AA

Smaky is the man you need. He checks in every couple of days so sit tight and I'm sure he'll be along to sort you out. In the meantime it may be worth posting as many details of your car / problem to save time.

• Like 1

That part number is one of the position sensors, and itself can not be the leak as it is electrical with no hydraulic connection. BUT oil can pass through it as there are gaps which are actually there to allow the box to breathe, the problem though is more than likely an o-ring seal on one of the pistons or between the back plate and body, depending how much fluid you've now put in the gearbox may be flooded and will need draining and flushing too before the bearings react to the wrong oil.

Thanks Smacky. I've topped up the reservoir to just below max level using tutela selespeed oil. Not sure how to proceed from here then. Any advice?

It doesn't have any other issues I.e. It can select all gears and the pump sounds/looks like it's working fine too and the car is drivable on occasion.

I'm afraidi don't want to tinker with the wrong thing and have what works also fail on me.

Any advice on how to proceed will be much appreciated.

That part number is one of the position sensors, and itself can not be the leak as it is electrical with no hydraulic connection. BUT oil can pass through it as there are gaps which are actually there to allow the box to breathe, the problem though is more than likely an o-ring seal on one of the pistons or between the back plate and body, depending how much fluid you've now put in the gearbox may be flooded and will need draining and flushing too before the bearings react to the wrong oil.

Hi Smaky,

i've finally managed to hook up the car to MultiECUScan and get the error codes below. Note that i cleared the errors and didn't get the codes even though the dashboard display was showing a fault (check engine light on).

P1770 Accelerator pedal signal - intermittent fault

P1819 engine torque (from CAN) - intermittent fault

P0856 VDC messages (from CAN) - intermittent fault

P1742 selection sensor - Open circuit/short circuit at +V batt - intermittent fault

look forward to your reply... thanks for your help.

Looks like a fault with the wiring or a battery on its last legs.

I've left the car unused for weeks and it starts up first time si the battery might still be ok. I'll check it anyways.

If it's the wiring, what wiring shouldi check? Thanks.

Hi Smaky,

Tested the battery using multimeter. 12.6V that went up to 14V when reved. couldn't test the amps. But I think it's ok. I don't know to much about testing the wires so would appreciate if you could let me know how I could go about testing those. Which ones to test etc.

Thanks

First of all there is a relay and a multiplug between the battery and thermostat, disconnect the plug and reconnect it, and make sure the relay is seated correctly.

Hi Smaky,

So I tried to find the multi plug but not sure what you were referring to. I've pasted a link here to pics. I think the fiat configuration may be different from alfa's setup. Could you please tell me what plug you were referring to. Thanks

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac295/sal12349956/20150905_182834_zpswhofjuzh.jpg

So I got the same fault again and noticed that if I press the accelerator abruptly I can trigger the fault. I hooked up the MLS with the key in 'on' position (so engine not started). MES hooked up, I pressed the accelerator a couple of times quickly and triggered the fault. IS there a sensor that could be faulty near the accelerator? Or wiring near the accelerator that could be loose? At least now I know what triggers it... Waiting for your advice .. Thanks

This sounds like either the throttle pedal sensor or the throttle body may be the fault, something like a dead spot on the tracks.

Pedal sensor is part of the pedal, To test them you need to connect MES and watch the figures as you press the pedal gently to ensure they rise and fall steadily.

So they do move when I press the pedal very gently when it's working normally. But when it's acting up, even pressing it gently triggers it and the throttle % in MES doesn't move... BUT even when the numbers in the MES aren't moving, the engine does Rev up normally.

What can I do next?? Thanks

Any idea where the 2 ecu's are located in the grande punto?

I'll look to start testing connections next.

Will a multimeter suffice to check these?

Thanks

Engine ECU is on the intake manifold and Sele ECU (51857903) is under the carpet at the front of the passengers footwell.

Edited by Smaky

Engine ECU is on the intake manifold and Sele ECU (51857903) is under the carpet at the front of the passengers footwell.

Thanks. I'm not sure if it's something I've done but the car is working fine now. I didn't test the connections or anything but if it's running fine I'm happy and not touching anything. Thanks for your help! !