Sign in to follow this  
Grimsqueaker

Manual To Selespeed ?

Morning everybody, got myself a cheap sheddy 156 selespeed that goes like poo of a spade, but I have the MOT today and I know its not gonna pass, I have however been offered an unbelievably straight solid sportswagon with a buggered gearbox ( manual ) so question is how much of a pain in the cock would it be to swap?

It's do-able if you are reasonably competent with the spanners but there is a lot to swap but you have a complete can as a donor.

Assuming the manual is a 1.8 or 2.0 TS then it's Gearbox, Engine (if applicable) Engine bay wiring loom, gearbox ECU, Pedal box, Gear change lever and linkage,Steering wheel and wiring (for gear-change) Rev Counter, Exhaust and Cats if the manual is not a CF3 engine, Front brakes if the manual car is a 1.6 with solid discs. Clutch and possibly flywheel (not sure on this) if you are using the engine from the manual car. If not it may be worth a clutch change anyway depending on when it was last done (much easier with the engine out if that's the way you go. Also worth checking the front ARB if the engine comes out as it's a damn site easier with an empty engine bay. Not sure if there is a difference in the driveshafts but you'll have both. You will also need access to MES to set things up if you separate the engine and 'box.

I may have missed a few bits out but I'm sure Smaky will be along in a day or so to correct any errors as he is the man to talk to about selespeeds.

So all in all not a small job but in my opinion worth it to keep the Selespeed gearbox.

Anyone with a sensible head will tell you to scrap your Sele and put a "new" manual box in the Sportwagon but how boring would that be? Still if you decide to follow that path I have a Manual box from a 2.0 twinny you are welcome to, free to a good home. I have never used it as it came attached to an Engine but see no reason to suspect it doesn't work and it will need a clean as it's been sitting for a while but it's yours if you want it (or anyone else reading this) As I said I don't want anything for it, Just trying to clear a bit of space.

And you never know your Sele may surprise you and pass.

Good luck

Thanks for that, the sportwagon is a 1.8 and I will be keeping the selespeed engine and box together, the saloon is not going to pass, the exhaust sounds like a skeleton wanking in a biscuit tin and the brakes pulse when you slam your foot on them, oh and I have an airbag light and either drop links or antiroll bar is clonking over pebbles :)

The failure sheet wasn't as long as expected, it was mainly exhaust and tyre related, I might just use the sportwagon for replacement parts including a bumper not held together with gaffer tape and araldite. :)

Well the sportwagon turned up and it is incredibly solid, however the situation of half strippedness under the bonnet has led me to the conclusion of pulling off the bits I need to get the sele through the mot, and then what to do with the wagon?

I was thinking that once the sheddy sele gets its Mot I've probably got another year out of it, that gives me six months to collect all the parts for my ideal car

( black sportwagon, facelift front, facelift dashboard, red leather, either 2.5 with qtronic, or selespeed) and then six months to build :D

I think you're crossing a line that shouldn't have been drawn in the first place, the best way to go is to buy the car you want, not build it (in this case), there are some out there, but they all have issues and and it would be cheaper to solve an 'off the shelf' car than build from scratch with a load of unknowns.

Yeah that plan has been shelved now, the sportwagon shell isn't as solid as first thought, and after a closer look my selespeed isn't as bad as first thought :)