alfizta

Fuel Pump Leak Fix?

hi all!

my 156 is having what I think to be a fuel leak at the fuel pump. the smell is coming from behind the rear seats, at the sky hatch.

anyone knows a way to fix the leak without having to buy a new fuel pump?

thanks!

It's an unlikely diagnosis as the pump is contained within the fuel tank, and the only part of the fuel system outside of the tank and not on the engine is the fuel lines, it's possible one is split which would be a simple replacement, but if it was a pump problem then I could only imaging the top has rotted or the seal is perishing, but if you are getting a petrol smell in the cabin I would suggest you check the exhaust for major leaks.

I hope so, as a new fuel pump is not that cheap. anyway, fearing the worst. any recommended fuel resistant glue? :D not epoxy, please. by what I searched won't last more than a year.

just couldn't hold myself any longer. got to the High Quality Germany Engineered BOSCH fuel pump and there was a swiming pool of petrol on top. you can see a small crack in the plastic top and fuel coming out from it :(

Edited by alfizta

OK, like I said it's not the pump but the case, cheapest option is to seal the crack or get a replacement from a scrapper

AH, AH, AH! I can get a new boschy crapy one for 130 Euros from the middle east. lets see what the scrap yard or the aftermarket has for me...

got the new pump. any tricks to remove the fastening ring more easily? was thinking of spraying some wd40 :rolleyes: going to soak my hands on gasoline this weekend...

just read a bit again about the TS technology. I'll plug the side plugs back again. but can't tell the difference.

about the fuel pump, don't feel like buying the tool...

If you run a 146 on 4 plugs then 1+2 are on primaries and 3+4 are on secondaries, not really an issue as a lot of the race teams do this, but they are running different ECUs with maps designed for the engine, yours would be confused and running underpower as the second spark is there to increase flow speed of the gases aiding the fluid dynamics of the engine and increasing efficiency.

well, won't take off the credit to the alfa romeo engineers... replugged the side spark plugs.

about the fuel pump replacement...

hammered with the help of a white board marker pen. was easy. some petrol spilled over the seats and the floor...

but, SUCCESS!!! fuel pump makes quite sucking noise. I guess that is normal...

well, not happy with the noise. I thought that when putting the cover on top again, the sound would go away, but it did not. also, I get a king of humming sound too that is more noticeable from the bottom of the car. although, the car runs perfectly.

took her for a drive again. most of the noise was gone for a couple of minutes, then returned again... the back seats fitted take out plenty of the noise, though...

is it possible for air to be trapped inside the pump and being released from time to time?

apparently the pump is getting less noisy. my question about the trapped air is because the sound I hear is like liquid being squeezed at high pressure inside a hose, but with bubbles inside. the same noise you hear from a grass irrigation system... probably you are thinking, «that's what is supposed to be heard...».

the humming sound is still present, and maybe is just the pump touching the metal cover and resonating all over the chassis...

I'm thinking that the motor is just bedding in the brushes, the noise should quieten down, but the humming is normal