Sign in to follow this  
Guest plank

Selespeed I Was Robbed

Guest plank

Hi Smaky. I've got a crank sensor I bought the wrong one for my JTS. I will try again at the weekend. Thanks for your help.

Guest plank

Hi all. I have replaced the crank sensor. What a nasty little job. Also replaced clutch sensor. Still got P0715. Funny thing is I have continuity from the clutch speed sensor to gearbox ECU, but I can unplug it from the gearbox and still get the same fault. To me I'm still thinking of the plug to the gearbox ECU.

I have the continuity to the wire just outside the connector, but how do I know that it's actually connected to the ECU?

Cheers.

Guest plank

I've just read that no Australian ts imports were euro3. Does anybody know if that is true? Because I have a euro3 gearbox ECU. Wondering if that's the problem

Hi,

Did you both manage to resolve this problem I'm chasing the P0720 error on my 07 registered 156 selespeed. I can't seem to get to the bottom of it. The fault sometimes goes away after driving for 15 to 20 minutes (not fun but I needed the car). It always comes back on startup in the morning (cold start).

The car has a new Batt and Alternator. all speeds are seen at the ECU live data. Tried another Selespeed ECU, same problem.

After a error reset the light comes on again after 100 yards or so (could be distance or speed that triggers it, I'm not sure).

Car has been jump started, in it's past life!

Cheers

Oh deep joy, I thought I might just have a chance of fixing it, can't bring my self to scrap another Italian car!

Did you change the ABS/ESP unit , that's next on my list, if you tried that I might give it a miss.

Just as a matter of interest did the problem start after an alternator change (clutching at straws here).

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Guest plank

Hi. I changed the abs. Engine ECU. Gearbox ECU. Tdc sensor. Speed sensor. Rev counter. Speedo. Body module. Gearbox wiring loom. Abs wiring loom. And probably a lot more.

Oh.............., so I might as well give up now. I have tried different Selespeed ECU, Body module, Speedo and hard wired 20 Pin plug above gearbox, ripped up carpets to check for the mouse damage, disconnected and cleaned every connector I could find. I just keep getting P0720 error.

It's pretty sole destroying so very sorry hear your woe's. I reckon this could be my last Alfa which is a shame because when it works its great.

Thanks for the update.

If anybody (Smaky??) has any bright ideas please let me know. (Will a 20V turbo FIAT manual box fit? as a last resort).

Cheers great to know I'm not alone ( or maybe not.... ).

I can only think it's going to be the engine ECU at fault which will mean replacing that, the code box and key chips.

Hi Smaky,

Thanks for the reply, I have replacements so I'll give it a try. however I noticed that the Selespeed parameters display is showing very odd gearbox and clutch temp readings,which I think are derived from the engine temp ECU sensor, so I'll put a new one of those in first then try the ECU. Lots of conflicting web based info on P0720, some suggests that output speed sensor and gearbox/clutch temp sensor outputs are in series .........?? I'll let you know if I get anywhere, I'm struggling to find wiring diagrams for this particular 57 plate model (I guess it's the re import Australian version).

Cheers

Yeah the whole problem is the TS interface with the CANbus of the facelift, almost all of the Aus imports have this problem, the gearbox temp is an estimated figure and I'm sure all these problem cars have had the ECU map fiddled with for emission control as they had to meet euro4 limits at the time of import so it's got to be something to do with that as the engines wear and parameters alter.

Hi,

Fixed it at last

OK so how about this,

it was all caused by....... the left hand Xenon control unit, yes it was full of water and burnt out.

Face lift Selespeeds run an vehicle speed wire to the N/S Xenon (N/S only!).

Its not a CANBUS connection, its the green/red wire to the headlamp unit, I have cut the wire while I await a new Xenon control unit.

Selespeed now works fine.

So if nothing else sorts the P0720 fault on a facelift/Xenon 156 try disconnecting the Left hand headlamp connector.

Thanks to everybody who replied to my post.

I'm sure I'll be back for more assistance.

Ed

Well bugger me, I'm going to look into this wiring phenomenon, never heard of that and fooked if I'd have found it.

Hi Smaky

I couldn't believe it either (I cut the wrong wire at first as my Italian isn't great but then some say my English isn't much better!), I can only assume that the Xenon is prevented from doing it's height setting cycle if he lights are switched on when the car is moving, I can't think of any other reason for the connection.

It will be reconnected with something I can disconnect easily, as it might happen again due to the headlamp design.

Is it worth drilling the Xenon controller and fitting a drain rather than the rather hopeless attempts to stop the water getting in . Failing that, I am considering extending the loom to the Xenon controllers and mounting them upside down.

Cheers