Sign in to follow this  
Guest plank

Selespeed I Was Robbed

Guest plank

Hi all, nice to meet you. I'm new to the forum. Here's the prob. For my seventh 156 I decided to buy a selespeed. When I phoned my local well known alfa independent about it they said that they just had the car for four days and there advice was to scrap it due to the selespeed. So I was mugged for a lot of money. So I'm going to try and fix it..

Here's the fes

ECU ISO code: BC 07 02 80 1A

FIAT drawing number: 46814000

Hardware number:

Hardware version: 00

Software number: BAA01B22

Software version: 0000

Homologation number:

ECU programming date: 00/00/0000

READING ERROR CODES:

1: P0720 - Transmission/Gear Sys (12)

ERROR DETAILS:

Battery voltage: 14.38 V

Vehicle speed: 7.0 mph

Engine speed: 1536 rpm

Gear engaged: 1

Desired gear: 1

Gearbox oil temperature: 12.8 °C

A/T Output Speed Sensor Circuit fault

The reason for this fault is that ECU did not receive signal from the sensor.

The fault is present now. Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault.

Dashboard warning light was activated for this fault.

Now I'm going to have a fiddle in the morning. The fes seems straight forward enough except the car was not moving. Just wondering if it thinks I'm doing 7 mph when I'm parked could this throw a different light on it. I would really appreciate any help on this mater. By the way I can get 1st 2nd r and n.

If the engine is running, then you can ONLY select 1,2,R or N, it's to prevent you pulling off in too high a gear.

But it's saying there is a mismatch between the clutch speed sensor and the signal from the ABS, this is normally a sign of gearbox bearing failure, the thing to do is remove the clutch speed sensor from the front of the gearbox and check it for physical damage, if the end it chewed then it's going to be a replacement/reconditioning of the gearbox AND clutch, if it is not then it's an electrical fault.

Guest plank

Hi Smaky. I did two more fes after and both had car speed of zero. I can't go above 2nd with engine off. Resetting lever pin earlier I could change up with engine off, bur after 100 yards driving it went back to not working. Any difference?

Guest plank

Hi Smaky I'm in Mere Wiltshire could do with some help.I've got a huge cider tree here.

Got some money too.

Where about's in Mere ?, I'm a postie there and cover the whole village throughout a week.

Smaky I'm 16 miles from Mere so perhaps you could kill two birds with one stone when you come to sort out my sele. :)

I've looked further into the diagrams on this and the signal from the ABS goes trough the rev counter as I said, but before it hits the Sele ECU it's passes through the CCM (Body Module) above the glovebox. This is possibly where the fault is.

Guest plank

Ive got the body module off. Can't see any obvious damage inside. Does anyone know the best place to have it tested and repaired?

Thanks in advance.

These modules are not sele specific so taking the one from your JTS and trying it in there may show if that was the cause

Guest plank

Hi again. I’ve been reading posts over the last few days on how body modules are specific to the ECU, and have to be programmed to work. The word was, that a second hand one will not work, get a new one. On Smaky’s advice I swopped the Sele’s with my other Alfa’s module, and they both worked fine in the other car. It just shows how some other forums can mislead.

Unfortunately didn’t cure the Sele though. I’ve still got the speed sensor fault, but at least I can rule out that module (cheers Smaky). I have done a continuity test on the wire from the speedo to the gearbox ECU, and I now know that they are connected together, but I do not know if the output from the speedo is happening. Does anyone know how I could confirm that speedo is talking to the gearbox?

Any other ideas would also be very welcome too, as I don’t really know what I’m doing.

I think we need to do continuity tests on the whole loom to see if there are any short circuits between any of the wires.

Guest plank

Yeah I'm going to have a good go this long weekend. One more question, if I have to put the code back in after disconnecting ECU, can this be done with multiecuscan?

Yeah I'm going to have a good go this long weekend. One more question, if I have to put the code back in after disconnecting ECU, can this be done with multiecuscan?

You wont need to, but yes you could.

Guest plank

Hi again. I think that I may have found something. The big connector under the battery, with the selespeed unpluged, on the car side,

terminals 1 3 4 5 8 and 9 all show continuity to the earth strap. I admit that I have limited knowledge on wiring, but this does not sound right to me. Can anyone educate me if this is wrong or not, and perhaps where these wires go?

Cheers in advance.

Guest plank

Hi all.

Of the earthed wires, 3, 4, & 9, are all black, and I can get continuity to the one larger black wire at the Selespeed ECU on all three. 5, and 8, are both white but as yet I haven’t found the other ends. The other one 1, is mauve with a black stripe, I haven’t found the other end of this one either.

I have two wires 16, red, & 17 green with a black stripe that seem to go to the Sele’s ECU, but on both of these I have no continuity. I don’t know if the wires are damaged. Perhaps this is the problem, but maybe these go somewhere else first, and the problem is there. I will have another look tomorrow, fuse box, and anywhere else that I can get to.

Any more advice would be very handy.

Cheers.

Guest plank

Hi again. It continues.

I decided that the big Sele’s connector under the battery could be the problem. I got shot of it and soldered and shrink insulated all the connections. Part success, I cured the original fault code P0720, but replaced it with;

1: P0715 - Turbine Speed Sensor (1)

ERROR DETAILS:

Fault status: Open circuit

I realize this could be a bit of dodgy soldering on my part. Does anyone know what number connection could be involved on the original connector, or what colour wire could be the pest. Or if this fault is not relevant to this connector at all. I could have pulled something else off.

Thanks for your help.

I was just about to say I've got an actuator loom we can swap over, but now at least you have it at the clutch speed sensor wiring.

Guest plank

Hi Smaky, I hope that you had a good weekend.

Are you saying that this fault is not connected to the sensor on the selespeed?

Guest plank

Hi Smaky. I'm beginning to think it could be that dodgy big connector to the gearbox ECU. My soldering tested fine. Each time that I reconnect the big plug I get a different fault code. I have continuity on all the speed sensor wires. I have an output from the speedo. All speed related faults, p0715, p0720, or once p0725, but only one at a time. Think that I will try to get another connector. What do you think?

P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P0725 Engine Speed input Circuit Malfunction

It's actually pointing to the crank sensor now, I haven't seen it do this before but I wonder if the crank sensor beginning to fail sends a frequency on the CANbus (this is a facelift) which generates these codes depending on the windings decay.