roberto147

Selespeed Troubles: Please Help Me!

Hello

First of all, excuse for my terrible english, i'm italian and a need to use no translator.

My selespeed has a probelm: i parked the car by nicgt, the mornig after she don't start, cause the change is in "R", and the engine don't turn. I push the brake, i hear the clutch actuator, i hear the change actuator that tries to put the "N" , but the change remains in "R" (but really the car is free, she is in "N", i pushed and she moves; i think i parked in "N" as abitually i do.

I disconnented the battery for a log time and for more times, nothing changes.

I have no similar troubles (and no troubles too) in the past (i have this car from 5.000 km, the car has 150.000 km)

The oil level is OK,

the pump starts and oil pressure is correct (i tested with Fiat Examiner, 52 Bar, like 45 the pump starts),

the switch on the pedal is ok,

there are no electrical troubles (i tested with examiner, no errros, and i checked all the contacts, included the N20);

if i launch in examiner the "remove engaged gear" procedure, the monitor signs "N" for a half of a second and then back to sign "R"

Today i disassembled the battery suppoort, and i checked teh two accesible potentiometer (not yet the third placed behind the robot);

if i turn manually the first potentiometer near to me, nothing changes; if i disconnect the pin of this potentiometer, the monitor signs "R" and "selespeed error";

if i turn manually the Second potentiometer (more higher and more back), nothing changes; if i disconnect the pin of this potentiometer, the monitor signs flashing "N" and "selespeed error", and the engine can start.

I interchanged the two potentiometer and nothing changed, so i think they are ok.

Now i hope to find the defect on the third potentiometer; if you have some ideas or suggestiones for me, please help me.

Now i ordered an VAG cable to diagnostic by myself via fiatecuscan, cause the examiner was on loan and I returned.

Until now i did all by myself, i'm a motorcycle mechanic, but i'm really in trouble with the change of my beloved Alfa!!!

Thank you for your attention, and for all the suggestions/help you can tell me, too!

Roberto - Roma.

Welcome Roberto,

Don't worry we have a Selespeed expert on this site.

I am sure he will be able to help but he is not on here every day so you may have to wait a day or two.

thank you very much, i'll wait

meanwhile, today i disassembled the third potentiometer too, and it also seems ok. You know, the basic position is about 20% of the range, when i remove it goes at 0% and the monito signs "selespeed error", i think this is normal

if i turn manually the last potentiometer, at minimum and over 50% monitor tells "selespeed system error"; if i disconnect the pin of this potentiometer, the monitor signs flashing "N" and "selespeed error", and the engine can start. So i think all the potentiometer are ok.

Then, summarize.

Monitor signs "R"

Car is free in "N"

Pump is OK

pressure is OK

Oil level is OK

Examiner is OK (no electronic troubles or errors)

potentiometer are OK

i push the brake and move the lever, i hear the actuators and the clutch moving, but the change rests in "R" and te car rests in "N"

What can be that makes the change thinks of being in "R"?

This is a long shot, but if the sensors are ok, there could be a problem with the Selespeed wiring. I seem to have this problem too, but it only appears when the car has been driven in the rain, 1st gear will blink even though the car is actually in N and I won't be able to use the gearbox or even start the car. Once the car has dried up enough all will be ok.

no, here is all dry this time, and i disconnected and reconnected all the pins of the wiring

except on the unit... tomorrow i try to disconnect and reconnect teh unit, this is the unic thing i not tried

And i have to test the pedal switch, but i think that if the pedal switch is broken, i can't hear the actuator when i push it ant turn on the key

Edited by roberto147