BNZW

Battery Keeps Going Flat

battery for my 147 2.0ts sele keeps going flat even if the car has been parked. recently bought new battery but still getting the same problem. what could be the issue here...please help

Could be the alternator?

Blown diode causing battery to drain.

Had a similar problem with my 156 Sele. turned out to be the the Rev counter.

The bulb warning system has a circuit board / chip in the back of the rev counter and when it fries you get a rear light perminantly on, but very dim so you won't always see it. Doesn't take a lot of power but left overnight who knows.

It's one of those "only in an Alfa" things. Strange but true. I didn't believe it either when Smaky told me but I changed the rev counter and all was well.

Worth a quick check before pulling bits off.

• Like 1

On the 147 it is always 1 of 3 things. in order of cheapness to fix...

1, Bad earth to tail light units. Are the lights working correctly?

2, Faulty alternator. Is there an ALTERNATOR warning when the engineis running? Is the alternator charging correctly?

3, Faulty Body computer. Is there a tail light dimly lit when the ignition is off?

My sele had the left tail light on ever so slightly, changed the rev counter. All well. While afterwards same thing happened on right tail light. Cant see any burnt chips though on the new board. Both sides using the same chip or different chips? Still got the old board if I can maybe just replace the faulty chip on new board?

Here is pic with clearly blown chip for left tail light, which chip is the one for the right tail light if not the same? Opposite side?

3ae92478fad411d03e535376c9e791fe.jpg

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelom

Looks like it was alternator all the time, battery light came on all of sudden last week and not going out

Whats the best, easiest,quickest way to get it out?

Remove the lower and front engine mounts and swing the engine forwards, then drop the alternator out the bottom, it's tight but doable and quicker than removing the intake.

• Like 1

Is the regulator easily sourced by you guys and what does it go for? I hear its a pain to get hold of over here

Alternators are easier to get, regulators tend to come from Poland and are awkward to source as there were so many variants of alternators used.