Sign in to follow this  
Firestorm

Gear Keeps Dropping To Neutral

Hi all,

My Alfa is a 159 selespeed 2007.

Sometimes when i drive at low speed in Manual mode,(can be when reducing speed to stop at traffic light (gear 2 or 3), or sometimes accelerating at gear 1), the gear will automatically disenage and show N on the display. I will move the gear stick to N and back to gear 1 and gear engages. On some occasions, the check gearbox light also came on when it dropped to N, and after i moved the stick back to 1, the msg disappeared.

I have this problem for more than 8 months already. recently this dropping of gear to N happens more frequently.

I have changed the slave cylinder, accumulator and pump, problem is still there.

When i went to my workshop recently, there was VDC error msg. the mechanic told me that the car might sense diff in wheel spd and hence as precaution, will disengage the gear and drop back to N. however he said he cant do anything abt it as well. jus have to move gear stick to N and back to 1.

His advice is when this happens, drive in auto mode D and let the computer reset and then drive in manual mode again.

anyone have same experience?

any advice pls?

thank you very much!

Firstly there is no slave cylinder, so I have no clue what you really have replaced there.

Anyway, this is most likely a setup issue,in that the clutch rod length is too short and not disengaging the clutch correctly and this is preventing the correct selection of the gears.

Firstly there is no slave cylinder, so I have no clue what you really have replaced there.

Anyway, this is most likely a setup issue,in that the clutch rod length is too short and not disengaging the clutch correctly and this is preventing the correct selection of the gears.

thank you Smaky for the fast reply.

i checked my receipt, the item replaced was "selespeed clutch bearing".

my clutch was changed abt 23000km ago.

"Anyway, this is most likely a setup issue,in that the clutch rod length is too short and not disengaging the clutch correctly and this is preventing the correct selection of the gears. "

So can this be solved by adjusting using the examiner? Is this a common thing? not sure if my mechanice will know..

thnx!

Edited by Firestorm

Assuming the correct clutch kit is fitted and the release bearing is right then yes this is something which can be sorted b plugging into Examier and adjusting AND LOCKING the clutch rod.

You want 28 - 28.5 mm and then run the End Of Line Calibration, this is all part of the clutch change and you should not be billed further for any work.

Ignore all of that, I just realised we're talking about a 159.

Therefore there is no set measurement for the cutch as it does have a slave/release bearing and this holds itself I position.

The fault therefore now that im talking about the right system I suspect will be the clutch speed sensor (5185789).

Edited by Smaky

Ignore all of that, I just realised we're talking about a 159.

Therefore there is no set measurement for the cutch as it does have a slave/release bearing and this holds itself I position.

The fault therefore now that im talking about the right system I suspect will be the clutch speed sensor (5185789).

how to cfm is this the root of the prob?

i dun tink the workshop has ready stock for this. need to specially order..

Is it hard to chg?

I tried to find this sensor from the websites that sells Alfa parts but all dont hav..

AR Pt.# - 55185789

OR

FACET - 90537

FAE - 79256

M&D - 87482

SIDAT - 8341

HOFFER - 7517482

FISPA - 83413

METZGER - 0909034

VEMO - V24720092

I've never seen a 159 Selespeed.

Have I missed something or was it not available in the UK?

It would be very long, are you sure you have enough time?

Hi Smaky,

I was able to live with this problem previosuly bcos its not so freq.

Now it comes back quite often and i am goin to chg the wheel speed sensor u recommended.

how hard is it to change this wheel speed sensor on 159? where is the location?

I found 2 listings on ebay that says Alfa Romeo 55185789, the part number u provided:

1) http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181219451776

2) http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/OPEL-ASTRA-H-1-6-FROM-2004-RPM-SPEED-SENSOR-9-0537-/181218986419?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a317e49b3#shpCntId

no 2 is cheaper. I can buy either one of these?

Thank you very very very much!

It would be 50/50 whether it's the sensor or the wheel bearing

how much is the wheel bearing?

so shall I chg the wheel speed sensor firstsince its abt 40 pounds?

where is the location? hard to chg?

and is it no 1 or no 2?

1) http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181219451776

2) http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/OPEL-ASTRA-H-1-6-FROM-2004-RPM-SPEED-SENSOR-9-0537-/181218986419?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a317e49b3#shpCntId

Thank you!

Without confirming the fault I wouldn't want to say what to change, It's easy to sit here and speculate but without testing it myself then it's pure guesswork.

Without confirming the fault I wouldn't want to say what to change, It's easy to sit here and speculate but without testing it myself then it's pure guesswork.

then what shd i do?

I was tinking if the wheel speed sensor is easy to change, since it is inexpensive, i jus change it and see how.

Smaky, my bad...

it's the clutch speed sensor u asked me to change and not the wheel speed sensor.

can u pls help me confirm this is the correct park before i place my order?

and where is the location of this clutch speed sensor? how hard to chg it? is it a 10 mins job? or require alot more efforts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-159-SALOON-2-2-JTS-2005-TO-2011-RPM-SPEED-SENSOR-9-0537-/181218986783?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AAlfa+Romeo&hash=item2a317e4b1f

once again, thank you very very very much!!