Sign in to follow this  
phels22

Selespeed Clunk/clack

Hello all. When changing down in to 2nd or 1st there is a clack sound like a metal spoon hitting solid metal. It's always done this and gets louder after 1/2 hour of heavy London traffic. The car is a 2001 sport wagon with 47k on the clock.

I've just had a service, gearbox & sele oil change & the system calibrated. The mechanic said he couldnt get to the reading of 28 so it's set a 22. He said the clutch might be worn. Gear changes are very fast and smooth but the above issue is still there.

The car has had little use over the years and bit by bit I've been bringing it up to standard. Is this issue something I can live with for a bit or is doom imminent?

Pressure is good & nothing is leaking. Thanks!

That needs to be set to 28mm ASAP or it is going to cost you a gearbox, atm I think you may need a clutch!

So it looks like to get it to 28mm I'll need a new clutch. Damn this car costs! What is it doing to the gear box on an incorrect setting?

It may not need a clutch but it certainly needs someone who knows the system to sort it out.

ATM though it's not pushing the release fully and just crashing every gear change. NOT GOOD.

You are the expert! This car is a bottomless pit! Any recommendations? How long driving as it is would it be before the box goes? It's had a lot of work done but even a 156 nut like me has limits!

I'm in woolwich but also quite often in old street if that helps. It would be great to get a solid opinion!