M.J.S

156 Brakes Not Great

I think there is something not quite right with my 156 brakes... they work but they are just not as good as my 147 and not as good as I think they should be.

It feels like I have a lot of travel before they really engage. I read a test on how to test the assistance servo(pump the pedal with the engine off, turn it on and the pedal will sink) it seems to behave like this.

What should I investigate next? I canny see any leaks, and the fluid is 14 months old.

Cheers

It could be you have a problem with a rear caliper they can sieze(stick) on both 156 and 147''s or you may have worn discs or poor quality pads. You could need to bleed them. What do the discs look like do they look scored can you see a lip on the edge of the discs.

When the engine is running and your foot is on the pedal does it sink down or stay solid.Lot of bits to check . The travel may mean they need bleeding.

Edited by Gibot123

Things to check then:

Discs and pads – looking for worn pads (these I think all have a reasonable amount left). Discs for wear/uneven wear and lips around the edge

I will check the pedal behaviour when the engine is running tonight.

Checking for seized calipers, is this as simple as having someone apply the brakes and looking for movement at the rear wheel?

I have not seen a drop in brake fluid level or seen any marks on the floor where the car has been standing.

You would be best to check with the car off the floor spin the wheel . You need to make sure that it releases properly as well as it activating. Very often a long pedal is air, worn parts (cylinder,caliper) or signs of a leak.

As you say you have lost no fluid then go through the basics then see what you find .If you have recently changed parts it can be they are not adjusted properly.

So I've had a real quick look at the brakes, there is a little lip on each of the disks but nothing to severe.

I took some pictures...

WP_20140328_006.jpg

WP_20140328_005.jpg

WP_20140328_004.jpg

WP_20140328_002.jpg

When the engine is on I'm able to depress the pedal and the movement slows to but it seems to still move towards the floor.

The pads look okay to me.

Is this pointing towards a cylinder?

As usual, Smaky to the rescue.... Its just me on Sunday so i might have to do two trips if there is time. Lets see how it goes. Cheers!

Looking at those pics the disc are shot and over heated . No wonder the brakes don't feel good.

might be time for new pads and discs then... at this rate i'll have replaced most of the car soon :)