Alfa156Melb

Sticky Interior Plastic – The Ultimate Solution!

The plastic trim in my GTA is disgusting.. it’s sticky and soft and covered in scratches.. especially the switch gear plastic.. where the door pulls are.

I’ve read all sorts of ways to clean these things from using Eucalyptus oil to metho and a lot of hard scrubbing.. then I read a post on Ausalfa.com from a few years back suggesting that Napisan is the miracle cure!

The whole process from start to finish is about 20 minutes. No Scrubbing, No scraping, No elbow grease.. Just soaking…

Here's what my trim looked like before treatment...

IMG_3502%20%28640x480%29.jpg

IMG_3505%20%28480x640%29.jpg

very tatty - and VERY Sticky.. it really buggered the look and feel of the car.. :(

So assuming you have removed the switch trim and removed the windows switches.. all you need is:

1. A bucket - large

2. Napisan - Oxi Action of course!

3. Scotchbrite pad - no name

4. very hot water

IMG_3508%20%28640x480%29.jpg

Fill the bucket up with hot water and add two lid fulls of Napisan and mix.. drop said trim in bucket and leave for 5 minutes...

Then with the scotchbrite - gently rub any remaining coating off the plastic - it will almost rinse off. Here's what it looks like after it's dried - My Son wanted to help - thankfully he pointed to it, just in case we missed the subject of the photo :Big Grin:

IMG_3510%20%28640x480%29.jpg

OK, so now we're ready for the first coat of Vinyl Spray... Just follow the instructions - if you can't find the Motospray product, VHT make one too. Motospray are clients of mine - so please support them, and you will support me Rolling%20Eyes.gif

IMG_3515%20%28480x640%29.jpg

Slice carrots while 1st coat is drying... oops sorry - I was making Spaghetti Bolognese while doing this job... Let me know if you want the recipe. :Big Grin:

Open a nice bottle of red...

IMG_3516%20%28480x640%29.jpg

2 or 3 coats later...

IMG_3514%20%28640x480%29.jpg

IMG_3513%20%28640x480%29.jpg

They need 24 hours to properly cure, so I won't put them back together today.. Once their back in, I'll take pics and upload em.

Seriously, this job, if i wasn't drinking and cooking at the same time, would have taken 30 minutes. You'd have rocks in your head if you replaced them.. this job is piss easy to do, and they look perfect - like they're brand new!

Well worth the effort!!!

Bon appetit!

Edited by Alfa156Melb

This is awesome I love tips like this, with your permission ill share it with the guys over on the clio V6 forum also as that is a very common thing there too!

Although now the door pulls are 'blacker' than the door trim.. its not as bad in real life... I'll have ot think abiout how to treat the trim to match up the colours a little better - I'm trying to get the car back to showroom.. close to it anyway.

do they do a matt finish as this may look closer than the gloss tends to look a little bit greyer

That looks blinking great. My 147 window switches are grim. Some kind of sticky snotty stuff that refuses to come off!!!!

This looks like a solution!

Thanks fella's...

I ended up doing other bits and pieces too using the same method...

Some of the trim in the car was abyssal. It was as if someone had smeared UHU Glue all over the plastic.. or maybe they just had a wank in the car? god only knows... :Skull:

here's some pics of what it used to look like:

IMG_3523%20%28640x480%29.jpg

IMG_3545%20%28480x640%29.jpg

Be careful pulling apart the 147 switches - if they're anything like the GT's you need to be very careful pulling hem apart - see this post, page 2 about half way down posted by Rookie Rox:

http://www.ausalfa.c...t=9551&start=15

Edited by Alfa156Melb