Sign in to follow this  
StescoG66

Sprint Front Suspension Reassembly

Hi Folks

Have a long-ongoing Sprint resto project, mine is a 1988 on F plate.

Bought new front shock recently so obviously dismantled the front suspension. However getting it all aligned when putting it back together is proving a bit tricky. I know the spring pans are sided, but just can't seem to get it to sit correctly. From what I can work out, the end of the spring should sit at 90 degrees to the inside of the arm that the steering rods attach to. Equally the notches on the top suspension mounts should sit at 45 degrees pointing rearwards. A cherished advisor also told me that the shortest overhang of the bottom spring pan is the forward facing part. For the record - the Haynes manual is useless on this count as it says the usual 'reassembly is the opposite of dismantling' ......... Last night I reattached the struts then tried to fit up the bottom arms but the alignment is miles out. Do the suspension strut and arms need to be put together as one then married to the body?

Anyway, there are a series of notches and cut outs in the various mounts that are self explanatory when putting things back together. However there is one notch on the top mounts that serves no purpose other than seemingly being an indicator.

Can anyone give any helpful hints/tips

I'm guessing you're talking Alfetta Sprint.

"Do the suspension strut and arms need to be put together as one then married to the body?"

That is the really awkward way.

I always use a set of spring compressors on the lower half of the springs, as you have all the arms in place but the lower ball joint disconnected you can feed in the shock and then connect up the ball joint, once all bolted up just remove the compressors.

Aha, then ignore what I wrote earlier, the Sud was a very different matter.

tech04_zpsce8586cc.jpg

I'm thinking then it's the hub to shock bolts you're having fun with, I'm affraid it's on of those jobs that patience and persistance will see you through, the main thing as you noted is that the pans are handed, if they are on the wrong side then you have no hope.

OK thanks Smaky - appreciate it. Looks as though I have done it correctly which is reassuring. Patience, tolerance and a gentle hand are going to be required to reassemble it would appear then . . . . .

Sorry for delay in replying. Yes image is spot on thank you. Back together now although not properly aligned - one wheel straight one steering inwards!!! I assume this will correct once it is under load or do I need to fart about with the steering rod ends to align them? I put the replacements back in the same position as the ones that came out

Thanks again for you help

Pessuming it was OK before you stripped it and your refitting the same shocks then I'd suspect either a bent seering arm on the shock or you have some rigging to do.

New shocks, steering track rod ends and new suspension top strut mounts which are different to what came off. Probably explains it .

It does indeed, always set the steering wheel to neutral first and lock it then do the other adjustments.

Now thanks to Franco (GTCoop on the other side) the front suspension is back on. Must remember to not be scared to be brutal.