alfizta

Lowest Mileage On A Cambelt Failure On Ts Engine

just curious. what is the lowest mileage you got to know from a cambelt failure on a Twin Spark engine?

An hour tops, I carried out the repair on it after it failed, but it was all down to the cowboys who'd done the change in the first place, they only tightened 1 of the 4 variator pulley bolts and it just spun the pulley and bent all 8 inlet valves on the way home, car is now on its second belt since and more than happy.

so, the failure is down to a bad job or a VERY OLD belt/tensioner, no? I recall an episode with a 146 of yours that the belt lasted over 120 kmiles! was that really true?

106,000 miles and 10 years to the day. I don't recommend anyone else tries it thouogh.

Edited by Smaky

106,000 miles and 10 years to the day. I don't recommend anyone else tries it thouogh.

Mr Smaky,

if it is not that the belt breaks, rather the tensioner lets go, so would just changing the tensioner more often, would that help ?

No, it's the belt, the original white Teflon tensioners did wear down and allow the belt to slacken but these should all have been replaced by now with the metal ones, the overall problem is the rubber the belts are coated with perishes with age and the teeth strip off. Always remember though that a cambelt change on a TS consists of Cambelt, tensioner, idler, water pump and coolant, plus on a 2.0 TS the balancer belt and tensioner, any less than that and the job has not been done. And on a V6 cambelt, tensioner, 2x idlers, the spark plugs and water pump are recommended as is switching the coil packs front to rear to even their heat soak. All TS and V6 cambelt changes require all the cam pulleys to be loosened/removed so camlocks are a requirement, you can not do them with tip-ex.