Sign in to follow this  
Cato

Selespeed Woes: What Broke First?

Hello everyone.

About a month ago my Selespeed clutch spring plate went bust and I've place an OEM Valeo kit.

Long story short, about 300 miles later I started to feel some juddering in 1st and reverse gears, connected to MES and saw everything ok except from clutch rod from 28 to 27.3mm. Set it up and drove for another 300 miles until something inside broke.

When we got the gearbox out we've seen the release bearing was split. Today at a closer look (i.e. looking at things again, and againg, and again) I also saw that part of the clutch seal was inside the release bearing plastic - something that made me wonder at first, but didn't make much case of it until this morning, realising the clutch seal was also broke.

My question is what part failed, the clutch seal or the release bearing?

1. The front bearing is ok. The gear shaft is rock solid. Smooth rotation, no noises or excentric movement.

43o6.jpg

2. The state of the release bearing and clutch seal. The scratches on top of the seal's cilindrical part are reflected on the gear shaft which will need to be smoothed. The plate securing the bearing to the plastic just disintegrated.

8wsh.jpg

3. Another look at the clutch seal.

pfb6.jpg

4. The spring plate. The image was taken off center. The disc is well centered and secure.

fhyi.jpg

Regards,

Pedro

Your front bearing is is siezing and the whole thing has spun out the surrounding alloy from the casing, effectively the gearbox need a new bell housing section, if you grab the shaft then there will be excessive play up/down and side to side, And if you remove the clutch you may find the edges of the friction disc are damaged where it has rubbed on the inside of the pressure plate ring. This will need a new clutch kit and gearbox case at least.

Hello Smacky,

I will check the inside of the friction disc.

Will also check for the movement of the shaft, but it didn't appear to move at all and the rotation movement seems free.

When you talk about the gearbox case, you mean the whole gearbox or just the bell casing?

Just the bell casing, but the only way to get a new one is to buy the 2 sections from Alfa, you may though find a good box if you look about, but it has to be a selespeed box, as the bit that is worn is sele specific.