Sign in to follow this  
Romek

Airbag Light On Spider Ph1

My phase 1 spider 1996 has an airbag light on which I cannot clear the fault with diagnostics.

I have a replacement ECU (TRW 60625181) at hand on a repair or return basis from a fellow Alfa owner. However, I am reluctant to install the ECU as I now consider it would not cure the problem as I have identified a short circuit to chassis on the ECU diagnostic line that feeds the airbag LED in the Binnacle.(Pin 1 Binnacle to Pin 13 ECU ) Has anyone had this fault and know the cure?

I have already started to strip the spider trying to trace the wiring but it is proving very elusive to find a specific connector G380 has anyone any ideas where it is ?

Any help or advise would be appreciated

Well, eventually traced the fault to a short circuit between pin 13 and 14 earth on the ECU multi pin connector .

Why it failed I do not know as no signs of bent pins or signs of any carbon tracking . Does anyone know if you can obtain a new connector ( Yellow 30 Pin) or is this loom replacement?

Has anyone attempted this plug repair any advice be appreciated .....

Pin 13 - lt blue/white wire - goes to plug G380 under the dash where it becomes a purple/white wire and is the warning light for the airbag in the cluster.

Pin 14 - Black - is earth.

If you have this as a short circuit then I'd suspect the cluster to be at fault.

Pin 15 - orange/lt blue also runs through plug 380, but this is the live feed for the ECU which runs through a 10A fuse in the under dash box.

Hi Smaky

The cluster has been replaced and it did not cure the problem

I found that Pin 13 and 14 to be short circuit on the ECU plug and PKR from the alfaowner site suggest that the plug goes short when unplugged accidentally or on purpose

This make total sense.This condition would light up the Airbag light as a default to show that the airbag ecu is inoperative. So I may have a different fault on the ECU or the plug is short circuiting intermittently! !!!!!

Interesting fault

Next stage get to then garage and prove the suggestion by PKR.

You are correct pkr. The connector was taken apart and it will go short circuit pin 13/14 when unplugged.turning on the light

The diagnostics show two faults

Battery supply low ( Measures 12.6 volts on supply feed on pin15)

Airbag Indicator light on ( reads 56ohm to earth on pin 13 when ECU connected) The binnacle has been substituted with a new one

The Airbag harness was tested for continuity and the reading for pre tensioner and airbag tested OK

Earth checked on the ECU wiring . Cannot find any fault. It is pointing to a duff ECU

Late last night I have noticed the ABS light also not self testing....

Any body got any ideas? as I am losing the will to carry on for the moment hoping for some ideas ..

Hi Smaky

Will try the earth to check on the ECU body

Did not cure will attempt at downloading new software for TRW with your help to create a test rig

Edited by Romek