Sign in to follow this  
orgigeorgie

Rear Main Seal

Done some research but to no avail. If already covered please do let me know.

Currently on my 2000 156 TS my rear main seal is leaking slowly and the clutch is original on 180,000km (112,000mi). I figured I may aswell change it and do the clutch too, along with the slave cylinder.

Is there anything else I should change while the gearbox is out? I will be attempting this myself, and will have a hoist so wish me luck - seems very tricky. Any write ups?

Whats the most suitable gearbox oil for this car?

Regards,

George

75-90 semi synth oil for the box,

The gearbox will take about 1:30 to remove, the clutch another 10 mins and the flywheel 1 minute (using power tools).

You'll need a 6mm Ribe bit for the seal plate bolts and a tube of sealant for the bottom edge to seal it againt the sump, but make sure it is sat on the crank properly and tightened against the block before doing the 2 bolts up through the sump. Also if you are taking the gearbox off for a suspect crank seal leak (which I've only seen 2 of in 30 years of this block) I'd have spare rocker cover and balance shaft seals at the ready as they are the more likely suspects.