Sign in to follow this  
Saabretooth

Tuning: Standalone Ecu, Piggy Back Or Stock Ecu. What Do We Need To Know

Ok, so now that I am going on to the next stage where I might hit 300hp.... or not.....

Cams, Skimmed heads, Larger Plenum and Larger Throttle Body.

Now comes the ECU.

The Bosch ME7.3.1 for the GT,GTAs have their limitations on how much fine tuning we can work with.

I have access to Unichip Q as a Piggy back option, where I retain all the workings of the stock ECU.

thing is

1) I am not sure if the ECU will take its time to overide and normalize the settings and thus, lose most of the tune's gains.

From what I've read so far, in South Africa, they do a tune up on the ECU first, and then fine tune it with the Unichip.

That saying, they know the limitations of the engine and ECU to be able to tweak it so finely.

I doubt we have that knowledge base over here, though we have the capability to tune it.

2) If I run a Motec standalone ECU, what do I lose out from stock? I've heard of things like a constant MCSF or lose some other readings and settings because I run standalone.

Its by and large, a road car, with a set up to go aggressive on the track on weekends.

Anyone with experience or knowledge would be great to chip in.

Cheers

I've seen cars with alsorts of setups, and the standalone is ALWAYS the best way to go, warning lights, etc are a myth, you only get them if the MAP is programmed incorrectly, you do though lose the CODE system, not a problem as you have no immobiliser once the old ECU is out. The theory is, the less components talking to each other the faster corrections can be made thus the power is kept more stable.

BUT, you start messing with the fueling of the V6 and the liners will evaporate.