Sign in to follow this  
orgigeorgie

Guide - How To Maintain Your 'detailed' Alfa

So if you haven't read the guide on how to detail your alfa, have a read of that first. Now it's time to maintain it. There isn't a whole lot to it, just it requires some patience and persistence. You don't even need special tools and you can do it at DIY carwashes. Some detailers would scorn at this - BUT its in their best interest to. Yes the water probably isn't as soft as what we'd like, no the chemicals aren't as good and can be quite strong - but its cheap and easy and if your anything like me where its very hard to find a guy to do something properly you rather do it yourself.

Results vary on how you do it, but you'll get better at it (don't be a larry loser and give up). Remember its just bloody paint - it is quite forgiving in the sense that if you swirl it...just remove them again (maybe).

So lets begin.

Weekly: (at home or at carwash is ok!)

Rinse the car thoroughly. This will take of large loose dirt.

Low pressure pre soak - suspend dirt particles.

Degreaser - will remove brake dust and grime. (bottom half of car)

Rinse. (optional - i do it, takes 2 min)

High Pressure soap.

Rinse.

THATS IT!!!! (takes me a total of about 6-7min)

Optional: Some carwashes offer a liquid wax, go for it. Last about 2 weeks.

Don't dry the car unless you're comfortable with what you're doing. JUST go out and DRIVE!

6 Monthly:

Same as WEEKLY. Wash the car.

Dry the car.

Grab your fav hard wax (ones that come from a tub)

top up the wax. (be sure to feel the paint, if it s very rough you should maybe give it a clay/hand polish)

You can top up as many times as you would like - 2 coats is good.

Annually:

Wash as per weekly.

Dry the car

Strip wax (use isopronal alcohol, avoid getting it on plastics)

Hand polish entire car (about an hour of work)

Reapply wax.

Do your wheels.

And you're sweet!

This isn't a definitive guide, you can alter it however you like. Obviously the interior state is upto you when you do it, I do mine completely ever month (vac, and protect) and do the leather every few months, sometimes 3 sometimes 6. whatever trevor. If anyone has something they would like to ad, go for it.

I've made it into a little pdf for everyone so you can have a visual representation. I'm not entirely happy with it, so if you could critique it that would be great.

Is it clear? Easy to understand? Not enough info, too much info? too plain? etc etc etc.

I have the pdf of this, so if you'd like that instead drop me a line.

So guys, go out there and look after you cars! If you're in Victoria Australia, happy to do your car just mention this and we'll work something out.

ScreenShot2013-07-25at85959AM_zps10984c39.png

ScreenShot2013-07-25at90013AM_zps5ae1929a.png

Edited by orgigeorgie