Sign in to follow this  
LJ_GQV

Lowering My Mito

Found this pic of 1 off a 2 year old car :o

7aduty5y.jpg

Doesn't look too good :LOL: i think it is the top strut mount, maybe someone else just called it something difrent?

It's no where near the worst I've seen, and it's other name is the top mount bearing... be glad it's not a monddeo, they completely exlope when the springs snap.

what does it actually do, the top mount bearing i mean?

It allows the shock to rotate whilst steering, commonly found on macpherson systems. With that one you couldclean it all up, regrease it and it would probably be fine. The 145/156, GTV/spiders use a similar thing and they lasted about 10 years on average.

:thumbs: i noticed mine makes a knocking/clonking noise recently if i don't use it for a while (hadn't moved in 2 weeks so noticed it when i used it a couple of days ago again) sort of like a twanging or stretching spring noise aswell, similar to the type of spring noise on a fire exit door if that makes sense?. done a fair bit of searching and seems to be pointing at the top mounts as its only at slow 'carpark' speeds it makes it (thats when i hear it anyway) sounds like a common thing on mito's aswell from what i've read?

where i live is a dead end so to get out i have to pull across the road into a carpark and reverse back out to turn around and you can really hear it then if i steer left/right quickly while im reversing slowly. does that sound like top mounts to you? speaking to NB he had a similar noise on his which was sorted by tightening them (think thats hat he said)

This is probably the top mounts like you think, the old 145/156/GT and 155s used to suffer this when the top mounts wear down, it's the spring clicking round the plastic case as you tun the wheel, it left then it can slip off and grind the arches away.

:thumbs: they will definately get checked when i get these fitted then :thumbs:

I forgot to update this thread :facepalm: i had it lowered a few weeks ago now, i decided to go with the 35mm H&R springs in the end because the 30mm drop didn't look quite right to me. A lot of people have said it looks like a subtle drop without going over the top with it & im glad i went for them now :thumbs:

I had the top mounts checked aswell & they were gone, had loads of gunk in them so i they got replaced aswell.

Once the new springs & top mounts were the car had a 4 wheel alignment & feels like a go cart now, it does catch the little plastic wind/rain deflector underneath the car on speed humps but i will probly get that taken off at some point (it got refitted just after i bought the car as it had been pulled out on 1 side :grr::LOL:).

Ill try & get some photos done soon as it has settled a bit more now :)

Surely that small amount it has been lowered by should be ok? some dealerships fit the lowering kits on new cars though don't they so hopefully it will be ok :)

The dealers will be fitting the uprated shock option with the new springs, they blow the seals the way you have gone because they have a higher force raiting so when they are trying to rebound the shock the force is greater than it was and this can cause the shock seals to blow.

Yeah, weigh each corner, adjust height/dampening, repeat until correct, go for a test drive, realise it's too damn hard for town road use, refit originals, wonder where the day has gone and why you're back to square one. :LOL:

Yeah, weigh each corner, adjust height/dampening, repeat until correct, go for a test drive, realise it's too damn hard for town road use, refit originals, wonder where the day has gone and why you're back to square one. :LOL:

There is that :nonono:

Number 2 son went the coilover way on his Polo GTi :facepalm:

'kin thing bucks on a shadow in the road :lol1: