Sign in to follow this  
gorge1982

Door Window Switch Panel

It would seem that my driver's side window switch panel has a layer of something that can only be described as gelatinous, and can be scratched off with a finger-nail.

Is this normal?

It appears that underneath this layer, is what should be the normal plastic panel.

Should I attempt to take this sludge off?

I think its just a coating on the switches, i had it on the climate control dials/buttons on my GTA & thought it was dirt so cleaned it a bit & it ended up looking a bit cack until i cleaned it all off :)

It's a soft coating over the whole panel, damage it and it's nearly impossible to sort out.

Can you elaborate a touch more Smaky? If the coating is wiped off (and it's quite easy to get off), will this become a drama? Isn't there just the plastic of the panel underneath?

From experience these vulcanized coatings are anything but easy to remove.

There have been a few suggestions along the way on what to use to remove this coating, from acetone to cif cream. I found that scratching at it with a finger nail and nail polish remover to lift off the adhesive was most effective.

From experience these vulcanized coatings are anything but easy to remove.

There have been a few suggestions along the way on what to use to remove this coating, from acetone to cif cream. I found that scratching at it with a finger nail and nail polish remover to lift off the adhesive was most effective.

I agree totally. I am able to scratch this stuff off with a finger nail quite easily. When all the scratching is done though, there will obviously be a little left and was wondering how to take this off, although Smaky's comments now have me thinking twice.

Was wondering what the drama was, as underneath it just seems to be the plastic.

I really don't want it as it is now, as it loooks horrible.

I mean damage the coating, taking it off is not a problem, you just lose the soft touch feeling that it's there to give rather than the cold plastic feel of a BMW.

Just an update. I carefully wiped away the coating, which took about half an hour, to ensure I didn't get any of the solution into anywhere it shouldn't, and I must say, it now looks fantastic.

I must say, I still can't understand the purpose of the coating in the form it is. I understand it is there to protect the plastic, but I don't see the point of a coating that is ruined once a fingernail is run through it.