Sign in to follow this  
Egon

Gearbox On A 147 Ts 1.6

Grab a coffee, this is a bit of an epic!

Bought an 03 147 ts in 1.6 flavour in january.

Had a graunchy synchro on third but hey, i could live with it!

Actually, no, i couldnt. So i bought another cheapy box, stripped and checked it and in a co-ordinated attack, changed the clutch, release bearing, front bushes and said gearbox.

Epic week of slog in the garage!

Only issue is reverse is a pig to engage now. Boooo!

On looking at the gearbox that came out of my car, the reverse setup looks different to the one i put in. My original box looks to be a later one. Eper says there was an update in 03 at some point.

Sigh. Still with me? :)

So, i have now decided that my box, sitting on the bench, needs its synchros replaced. This morning i stripped one shaft and looked at the synchros.

They have burrs on the back of them which is odd.

So, my question is this....does anyone have a trashed gearbox that they want to get rid of that i can pinch the synchros off? :)

Moved to the right section for you :thumbs: good luck with your search/fixing it :)

Smaky, you may save my life!!

I spent a while in ny local dealers this morning, harrassing him and generally asking waaay too many questions!

So my immediate issue is removing the box thats fitted, with the iffy reverse, opening it up and seeing if i can find a very small pin that sits between the interlocks on the selector rods that i really dont remember seeing... I have a hunch that its wedged in the end of the 5/Reverse selector rod orophice.....and thats whats causing the head ache....

Very posibbly, there is an art to geting those 3 rods in with the pin and 2 rollers, normally takes about 20 seconds though

Smaky, you may save my life!!

I spent a while in ny local dealers this morning, harrassing him and generally asking waaay too many questions!

So my immediate issue is removing the box thats fitted, with the iffy reverse, opening it up and seeing if i can find a very small pin that sits between the interlocks on the selector rods that i really dont remember seeing... I have a hunch that its wedged in the end of the 5/Reverse selector rod orophice.....and thats whats causing the head ache....

You found him then... :Big Grin:

Heh, yeah found him! Not many people want to get inside gearboxes, do they? Most of the consensus is bin it and buy a new one! Wheres the fun in that? :)

Have set a date to get stuck in and will be documenting (possibly youtubing too) how to get the box out without removing the subby.

Heh, yeah found him! Not many people want to get inside gearboxes, do they? Most of the consensus is bin it and buy a new one! Wheres the fun in that? :)

Have set a date to get stuck in and will be documenting (possibly youtubing too) how to get the box out without removing the subby.

Smaky just gives it a stern glare and it leaps out whimpering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only!! Is there a knack to getting it out without the subby coming out too?

I hear the studs have to come out...and turn the diff upwards too.

If only!! Is there a knack to getting it out without the subby coming out too?

I hear the studs have to come out...and turn the diff upwards too.

Studs can remain in, Stuby comes out with the rest of the L/H driveshaft and it's all about engine position.

Egine position as in it needs moving over/leaning forward sort if thing? I've made up a dolly to hold up the gearbox to lower it down.....

Egine position as in it needs moving over/leaning forward sort if thing? I've made up a dolly to hold up the gearbox to lower it down.....

Honestly where are yo? let's just get this thing sorted.

Lol, down in sunny kent, wrong side of the m25!

I have this weekend to do it...she's taking little man to a wedding so i have a gap!

Tools warming up....:)

Thanks for the offer boss, i have to get it sorted this weekend or i'm knackered for a month!

Early start tomorrow....:)

Rightyo!

I have come to hate the subframe! Lol

Subby out, gearbox out and stripped. No sign of the pin at all. Removed the pin from the other gearbox and after a mensa style game of "fit the pin" it went in. But therein lie my conundrum...

No sign of the pin so what was giving me reverse selection issues? Do i risk putting it all back together and hope that the pin would clear it all up?

So i put it all back together and put it all back in, box mounted, cables attached and it felt 70% better, so i bolted the subby up and raced to the finish line, via fitting a new alternator which turned out to be perfectly fine-the squeak is the air con compressor....

Its still pants but nowhere near as pants as it was!!

My enthusiasm for gearbox changing has waned a bit so maybe i'll make the old box back up, change the synchro and replace the pin, and lob it in if the wife goes away for a week!!

Things i've learned?

Smaky is gearbox messiah.

Make a decent map of where each bolt goes.

Alternators are best changed with subframe out.

Grease is god.

Dont cross my wife. She scary....

I have a similar problem on my wife's 1.6 147, '05 model.

Can't get reverse.

After a little while reading other people woes with the same sort of problems, and also getting confirmation from Day and White's at Brands Hatch, it seems the likely culprit is the gear linkage cable support bracket that sits on top of the gearbox.

This also causes a lack of centering, and a floppy stick.

The part cost me just under £40., and takes about an hour to change including removing battery tray.

Gonna be replacing today, so will let you know if that cures problem.

Apparantly D+W change these on quite a few cars, think he said about 50 in the last 3 years.

Edited by celadon

I think John hasn't quite got the diagnosis right there, the part he is referring to normally causes stiff changes, from your description I would suspect the actual gear stick housing, namely the cup which the stick rotates inside, so common on these cars that I keep them in my spares box. The input control which John has snagged is normally just a case of stripping down, boring out a little and lubricating to prevent further seizing. But no matter what I know jd will see you straight

Still haven't figured out what it is! Only been a year now, I do have two new cables for the gear change but I think the weather needs to get warmer before I get greasy again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk