06gta

Jts P0420 P0430 Errors

The minister of finances 2005 JTS 156 sportwagon has the P0420 and P0430 errors (suggesting cats are cactus)

it has 60m/97k on the clock. Starts well, idles fine, fuel economy is good but lacks power. Only run on 98 octane

The thermostat is probably shagged as it doesn't get above 60. Plugs are due. Inlet including maf is clean

Small exhaust leak near headers for first 30 seconds from cold start up

Have run fuel injector cleaner, reset ecu and upper cylinder clean (seafoam) and it came good but a couple of months down the track and its running slow again.

checked ecu and the errors are back.

so i was going to get the leak checked, new thermostat and plugs but what about the cats. How can I be sure they are infact dead? TBH I really don't know where they are, I can see the front precats and the muffler under the handbrake - is the cat somewhere in between?

Edited by 06gta

With the engine running rich due to the suspect thermostat, then the cats are not running at full temp and so not fully efficient, replae the thermostat and then see if the cat codes come back, but do also check that the cats aren't glowing at night which would be a coil pack or 2 OR blocked which is normally accompanied with heavy oil consumption.

thanks smaky I'll order a thermostat asap

i have a laser temp guage - just dont know where to point it - the pre-cats dont glow

oil consumption is approx 1L/5000km using castrol edge full synthetic 10w60

IR temp guns are useless, they need to be setup to the material rediance to give a correct reading which on a painted/covered in oil engine you'll never get right. The engine runs using the same reading which MES is telling you, the guage is just an indication fed by a seperate circuit. Discrepancies are normal.

Thanks but no matter how many times i read that second sentance I dont understand it

still dont know where the cats are to see if they glow

He's saying that the temp numbers that MES/FES reports are more accurate that the sensor in the thermostat. So if you plug MES in, go to parameters and look for Engine temp - that's the number you want.

The cats are right in front of the engine, on the extractors.. Under the heat shield.

cheers alfa156melb

i thought that they were pre-cats but you are saying they are infact the only cats

in that case they do not glow

i just need to get the new thermo and report back

Yeah they are precats.. the cat is more or less under the engine.. sort of mid way under the car. Then you have a resonator (Small silencer) and then the back box. but i believe its the pre cats that glow...

What's MES report as your engine temp?

Cheers,

Dave

As i understand it, its the one after the pipe goes into a single system.. just after where it goes from two into one.

Using that graphic

1 - Pre cats

2 - flexible section

3 - Main Cat (also called a catalized silencer)

4 - Resonator

5 - Backbox

ePer shows a very different picture in their graphics.. other drawings of the system also vary.. .. Let Smaky confirm or tell me I'm a bell end!

As far as I can tell, having looked at ePer the part number you want is: 60694711

List price is: £473 ex vat....

EB Spares lists the same part for £94 ex vat.. :He He: http://www.ebspares.co.uk/alfa_156/JTS_front_silencer_OE_number_60694711/info.cfm

That said, ePer upsets me, and confuses the hell out of me. I always walk away from it feeling less of a man. :cry:

ePer diag referenced (#15 is what you want):

Exhaust%20diag.PNG

Part details:

Main%20cat.PNG

Edited by Alfa156Melb

hopefully smaky will confirm you've got it correct - that is #3 and #15 refer to the main cat

i feel the same about ePer - confusing...

Edited by 06gta

Just did a MES check on engine temp

Got to bosses car 30 minutes after she got home so still warmish

Ran for about 7 minutes at idle and temp gauge @ 75 but MES @ 90

took for a drive and within 2 minutes of slow driving it got down to gauge @ 62 MES @ 78

drove for a few more minutes and MES temp stayed @ 78 until I got home

Well, it seems slightly low.. maybe its within limits.. remember that the thermostat should open at 88 degrees.. so it should be hovering around there...

Actually it's probably fine, if the stat was stuck open MES would report much lower temps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smaky, are you able to confirm that we're on the right track here?

We are confused as to the location of the main cat.. if i'm right (see above comments) why is it so cheap? otherwise if I'm wrong, can you point greg in the right direction please?

Cheers..

Ok so it's the same part. I was surprised because the ore cats are so expensive, yet the main cat is cheap as chips..

Anyway, thanks Smaky.

Thanks Smaky

Thanks Dave

I'll get a thermostat, new plugs and report back in a few weeks after parts arrive

Thanks Smaky

Thanks Dave

I'll get a thermostat, new plugs and report back in a few weeks after parts arrive

A few weeks?