Sign in to follow this  
2spark

I want to detail my 156

Having only ever having done the wash/wax thing on my car i think it's time for a bit more. It's a red 156 and the paint work is generally in good nick. A few chips and a few scratches that look a bit to deep to polish out but would probably t-cut out but I've been told not to use it.

The car is also covered in swirls, not bad but do show up in sunlight. I hear that there is stuff out there that will sort it out such as super resin polish, gloss coat etc but I'm a total newbie to all of this and wouldn't really know where to start??

i don't even know what the 2 bucket method? is.

Any help, guides, product advice really appreciated

polishing it with super resin polish is going to make ya arm ache, unless you've a polishing machine.

i'd wash it, clay it, glaze, wax.

i like to detail on a budget.

any shampoo

bilt hamber clay

clearKote red moose

megs 16 wax

polishing it with super resin polish is going to make ya arm ache, unless you've a polishing machine.

i'd wash it, clay it, glaze, wax.

i like to detail on a budget.

any shampoo

bilt hamber clay

clearKote red moose

megs 16 wax

SRP will amke your arm ache and last a few washes before the fillers that hide the swirls come out. :sad:

I used to try and polish by hand but found it almost impossible, so I bought myself a rotary polisher. I soon realised that it's not a fire breathing monster and with some practice the results can be stunning.

i'm yet to make the leap into machine polishers. i'm lost and don't know what to get.

If you aren't ready to machine polish it, SRP is pretty good stuff. 2-3 goings over with that, followed by a coat of Extra Gloss protection will reduce the swirls quite a bit but, as pointed out above, they will come back.

By way of a demonstration of what SRP can do, this is my wife's Volvo S40 V8 twin turbo. It has over 100,000 miles' worth of trips through automated car washes under it's belt so has plenty of swirl marks. However, after several coats of SRP and a coat of EGP, it looks like this:

IMG_0944.jpg

If you look really close, they are still there but it disguises them very effectively.

That's some finish on there. :thumbs:

Out of interest how long does it take to do and what does it last like?

this is my wife's Volvo S40 V8 twin turbo

:teehee:

the only way to deal w/ swirls and scratches is remove them... u need to polish them out... u can see how effective machine work and good polish is here for a MASSIVE gouge in the paint...

and it briefly tells how to sand back and buff scratches:

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5468

u can see the under front spoiler part that shows the result - right side treated w/ 2000 grit paper and polish, the left side left as is for before/after comparison...

as stated - SRP is just filler and will wash out... not bad for a no-risk way of prepping before a show major event - but your paint is still bodged under there...

I spent 8 hours cleaning my car once :o, looked good afterwards though :thumbs:

Hey mate as mentioned the only way to get rid of swirls is to remove a fine layer of clear coat. You can fill them but but after about 3 weeks they will reappear.

I have written up a few detailed explanations of the whole process. Have a read through the know how section and if there are any questions just ask.

http://www.billygoatdetailing.com/knowhow.html

I hope this isn't against the forum rules.

Hey mate as mentioned the only way to get rid of swirls is to remove a fine layer of clear coat. You can fill them but but after about 3 weeks they will reappear.

I have written up a few detailed explanations of the whole process. Have a read through the know how section and if there are any questions just ask.

http://www.billygoatdetailing.com/knowhow.html

I hope this isn't against the forum rules.

Certainly not against any rules here, helping out other members is actively encouraged ;)

If you ever feel like writing a couple of tutorials with step-by-step pics for AD, feel free to do so - just saying like :whistle: lol

I've just spent 3 days detailing my 156, there's still stuff to do :(

The trouble is the more you clean the more you find to clean :LOL:

Even though its clean and shiny, either my ex printer brain or my car detailer one isn't happy as I can still see things that need doing again. :cry:

I'm starting to form the opinion that Autoglym HD Wax leaves the car covered in a fine greasy layer that moves around when touched with even the finest microfibre to looks swirly. :mad:

My 156 is just a practice car for when I get my 166 back, but I want to get my technique spot on, so a guide would be a great idea. :thumbs:

Niiice thread drag BTW. :thumbs:

I've just spent 3 days detailing my 156, there's still stuff to do :(

I'm starting to form the opinion that Autoglym HD Wax leaves the car covered in a fine greasy layer that moves around when touched with even the finest microfibre to looks swirly. :mad:

3hrs? You're def doing it wrong (unless you were referring to just one wing mirror :LOL:)

Not experienced the same problems with HD Wax that you have K9d. Now have the Meguiars DA machine polisher, so after the usual wash, clay and HD cleanser I am now using the Meguiars microfibre pads with firstly Cutting Compound and then Finishing Wax on the machine, before resorting back to elbow grease and HD wax. Either my vision and/or eye for detail isn't as good as yours, or the light metallic silver/blue colour is disguising it really well, but I can't see light swirls when I've finished. Could your HD wax have gone off? :Confused:

Read again it says 3 days. :)

When I wax it and buff it up its fine, but when I got some AG bumper care on the paint and wiped it off with a microfibre mitt it left very fine marks.

Some of it comes from my print background and my mind being tuned to ignore the good stuff and only see the bad stuff. :(

I think black is the worst colour for showing every imperfection. :(

Niiice thread drag BTW. :thumbs:

3hrs? You're def doing it wrong (unless you were referring to just one wing mirror :LOL:)

Not experienced the same problems with HD Wax that you have K9d. Now have the Meguiars DA machine polisher, so after the usual wash, clay and HD cleanser I am now using the Meguiars microfibre pads with firstly Cutting Compound and then Finishing Wax on the machine, before resorting back to elbow grease and HD wax. Either my vision and/or eye for detail isn't as good as yours, or the light metallic silver/blue colour is disguising it really well, but I can't see light swirls when I've finished. Could your HD wax have gone off? :Confused:

Just treated myself to a machine polisher but it only came with 1 sheepskin buffer and not got it out the box yet.

I too get a film appear a few days (usually weds) after I've washed and waxed it so tried the cutting compound then wax

but it was even bloody worse (etna black) :nonono:

Do you just use the buffer for the final polish or do you use different pads for different compounds ?

Just treated myself to a machine polisher but it only came with 1 sheepskin buffer and not got it out the box yet.

I too get a film appear a few days (usually weds) after I've washed and waxed it so tried the cutting compound then wax

Do you just use the buffer for the final polish or do you use different pads for different compounds ?

What kind of machine polisher did you get NB? I've had a hankering for one for a while, fancy the 3M one but not at the £300+ that it costs for a new one lol - haven't found one on fleabay yet either!

I use the polisher that I posted a link for a the beginning of this thread.

I only have one polish Gtechnic P1, its designed to be universal and you use different pads for different levels of cut.

I wool pad is the harshest cut, so is not ideal as your only pad.

I wash, clay, polish all by machine using various pads, glaze then wax.

My problem seems to be that the wax doesn't go hard, its all fine when I buff the wax, by hand with a microfibre cloth, but after that its like the wax is soft and smears around. :(

Use different pads for different compounds/polishes. Generally, most compounds/polishes are applied by machine, and removed by hand buffing with a microfibre cloth.

Did you remove the old polish/wax with an HD cleanser before putting the cutting compound then wax on? If not, might explain why you were getting a worse finish.

My problem seems to be that the wax doesn't go hard, its all fine when I buff the wax, by hand with a microfibre cloth, but after that its like the wax is soft and smears around. :(

Not wishing to teach the master how to suck eggs (or something like that), but are you applying too thick a coat of wax, or not leaving it for long enough to get hard? Alternatively, I find that no matter how hot I boil wash the cloth, the wax never comes out, and eventually starts smearing. So I end up throwing the cloths away after a few coats have been removed and using a new one.