Sign in to follow this  
Smaky

GUIDE - Accumulator Replacement

1. As the reason for replacing the acumulator is normally for it no longer holding pressure then there is no need to depressurize the system, but if you wish you can disconnect the plug for the pump located just behind the front left headlight unit, so the first thing to do is remove the air duct and disconnect/remove the battery (-ve terminal first) and tray to gain access.

IMG_2374.jpg

2. Just bend the loom mounting bracket slightly out the way to aid access to the T30 clamp screw, loosen the screw to allow the accumulator to be loosened in the next step.

IMG_2367.jpg

3. To aid loosening the accumulator I have a modified 27mm spanner, this is used to just crack the accumulator loose, as it begins to spin it will be possible to wnwind by hand, but befor you do, Place a rag accross the joint of the accumulator to actuator so that you can not see it, then unwind the accumulator, it is possible that the bellow inside may release at this point and if it does you will get a 50 Bar squirt of oil straight in the face, so make sure that rag does not move.

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

4 Unwind the accumulator right off and remove, place the old accumulator into the reservior, the fluid will drain out and can therefore be reused, remove the new accumulator from the box and fit in the opposite order.

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

Yes it really is that easy and for £1500 less than Autolusso would charge.

Hi Smaky! Thanks for the helpful guide! I'd just like to ask if it's absolutely necessary to shear the 27mm wrench or will a normal one do?

Hi Smaky! Thanks for the helpful guide! I'd just like to ask if it's absolutely necessary to shear the 27mm wrench or will a normal one do?

It's a prefernce thing and I've foud that trimming like that allows a better purchase on the accumulator.

Alright! Thanks Smaky! Just asking in case I need to replace my accumulator again! Gonna get a new accumulator and do it myself next round. I still get some Selespeed beeping sometimes out of the blue; maybe 1 to 4 times every 3 days or so, mostly in cold or rain. Everything works great though, so I suspect it's an errant pump/sensor/failing accumulator/loose wire yada yada and it's enough to have me on the edge of my seat ^^

Apologies for jumping in, but yes you will. You can either reuse the fluid you (hopefully) caught when taking the accumulator off, or top up with new (Tutela CS Speed)

Silly question probably.. but I assume you'd need to top up the sele oil again?

Normally your replacing the accumulator because it's siezed, therefore if you sit it on the reservior the oil within it will trickle out and refill the system for you, but not always as sometimes it decides to release as you remove it and that's why I hold a rag over the area when undoing it.