Smaky

GUIDE - Breather valve replacement

If your suffering from high oil consumption on the TS or JTS engine then this little repair may be for you.

IMG_1993.jpg

Tools required:

90 deg internal circlip pliers

R-clic® clamp pliers

Parts:

Valve kit (below),

IMG_1992.jpg

The job:

1: Using the internal circlip pliers squeeze the valve body and pull gently on the hose to release the valve body from the inlet manifold,

IMG_1994.jpg

2: Remove the Valve Core and Spring from the inlet manifold,

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

3: Fit the new Spring and sit in the new Valve Core,

4: Release the R-clic clamp on the hose and swap the valve body over, reclip the clamp,

5: Oil the new o-ring seal and place it in the valve body

6: Push the valve body down onto the inlet manifold to complete the task.

i have done this but no difference, could this system be blocked by the rocker cover side? if yes then what would be the best way to clean it?

Not suffering with high oil consumption but a smokey idle until 2000rpm

i have done this but no difference, could this system be blocked by the rocker cover side? if yes then what would be the best way to clean it?

Not suffering with high oil consumption but a smokey idle until 2000rpm

Have you considered removing the inlet manifold and standing it on end to see if oil pours out?

The spring hardens and the plasic core in my hand there mishapes from the heat, once they are replaced then it does cut oil consumption, but if you have a weeping inlet gasket or the exhaust studs aren't sealed then this wont help much.

ive been looking for this valve part all over the net - where can i buy it?!

I would call your nearest Alfa/Fiat parts centre and ask for part number 0071713715 (as per image provided by Smaky). No great saving by buying online as its a cheap part to begin with.

I could, but an engine is a machine, a machine should be used and when things are used they end up like that, plus it's not my engine and that picture is about 4 years old.

My 2.0JTS is using about a litre every 100 miles. There are two pipes from the cam cover, one going to the intake the other to the inlet manifold via this valve. My throttle body has oil on the intake side, so I'm not sure this fix will work in my case.

I've only just bought the car and have a feeling low oil level has ruined the engine...

Will blocking both pipes be an option?

No, if you block the pipes then you WILL blow the engine, the crankcase pressure must be released. Your problem may be a leaking intake manifold gasket.

Edited by Smaky

An update on my JTS. Looking at the inlet ports three cylinders were full of carbon and one was washed with engine oil. Inlet manifold gasket leak as Smaky said. My engine was also difficult to start as this cylinder was loading the starter motor because of the oil.

Thanks for the help

An update on my JTS. Looking at the inlet ports three cylinders were full of carbon and one was washed with engine oil. Inlet manifold gasket leak as Smaky said. My engine was also difficult to start as this cylinder was loading the starter motor because of the oil.

Thanks for the help

was it #2?

http://www.redpoint-parts.com/archives/51678698.html

From what I understand, it's a reed valve that goes into the other breather hose, and a blind plug for the PCV. However, Mr. Takahashi would like 175 quid plus taxes and shipping for it.

How about removing the internals of the valve and replacing it with in inline universal part?