Sign in to follow this  
ACAPULCO AL

headlight aim

my 159 failed its MOT in january cos the headlights were aiming too low, and the twats cherged me about £30 just to put that right :rant:

any ideas on how to a) check the aim and B) change it up/down if it ain't right?

get them adjusted to the right setting, then park up in your garage facing the wall a metre or so away from it. Mark on the floor where the front tyres are and mark on the wall where the 'tick' of the light pattern is. Hey presto, DIY headlight aim tester. (it only works for that car though :LOL: )

(it only works for that car though :LOL: )

...with that tread wear, tyre pressure, load and as long as your Barrat Home isn't subsiding.

tyre pressure and shonky new-build homes I'll accept... but a few mm of tread wear? Surely the test isn't that precise?? :|

The height of the beam isn't as important as the clarity of the pattern (the 'tick' that Munky referred to)

They can be up to 6" lower than parallel to the ground, but no higher. The pattern must be clear enough to be distinguishable against the background of the beam tester card.

This ensures that the reflectors and the lenses are sound.

Strictly speaking, it's against the Construction & Use 1972 to drive a vehicle with headlights which aren't height adjustable, but if you pass the MOT then no one will ever know (unless you present for your next MOT with the boot full of lead ingots and the tester tries to wind them down)

The bulbs being clean is important, too. Which is why it always says 'Don't touch the glass, stupid' on Lucas 472s. Very blurred pattern from a greasy bulb..

my 159 failed its MOT in january cos the headlights were aiming too low, and the twats cherged me about £30 just to put that right :rant:

any ideas on how to a) check the aim and B) change it up/down if it ain't right?

New rules now allow them to do this free if they want but they should