Smaky

GUIDE - TS / JTS Starter Motor replacement

Possible, but you can check that through the inspection hole on top (rubber bung) or underneath (remove one of the 8mm bolts from the flywheel cover plate).

That is one, but it's easier to take the inspection plate off underneath and check the ring gear for missing teeth/cracks, but it is more than likely the starter at fault.

but in the 1st place you were probably referring to another hole that is just underneath the thermostat, on the left of the one in the picture. but the rubber bung is missing on mine...

Or big hands.

I look like I've been savaged by ferret.

I feel your pain, my hands look like I have indeed been savaged by a couple of ferrets, now it's dark I'm going to go and clean out the ferrets and get genuinely savaged.

It's one of those jobs that will frustrate the fuck out of you and tear you to shreds in the process.

But when you've finished, you'll say to yourself "actually, that wasn't that bad".

It was of course, it was fucking awful, but your mind will override the truth :LOL:

Well done for completing your bloody mission :thumbs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's one of those jobs that will frustrate the fuck out of you and tear you to shreds in the process.

But when you've finished, you'll say to yourself "actually, that wasn't that bad".

It was of course, it was fucking awful, but your mind will override the truth :LOL:

Well done for completing your bloody mission :thumbs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't have put it better myself

Hi Smaky! Just noticed that the starter is failing when exterior temp is a bit warm. when it is cold outside it starts fine. also, engine coolant temp is not related whatsoever. starts fine with hot or cold engine, as long as outside temp is cold. could it be a bad contact somewhere that gets worse when outside temp gets higher? any suggestions where?

Sorry for the stupid question. Have to go for the obvious first, check for loose cables, contacts, if I can get there... anyway, definitely looks like room temperature has something to do with it...

It has to be a loose plug, relay or fuse, the plastic casing expanding in the ambient heat and pushing out of the holder/socket, anything else and the symptoms would be the other way round

is it possible and easier to just take the solenoid out without removing the whole starter?

Edited by alfizta

Anything is possible, but no IMO it's not easier, the #3 Philips screws can be a right pig and you need to clean the gear spindle anyway so it has to come off completely