Smaky

GUIDE - TS / JTS Starter Motor replacement

A guide to replacinng the starter motor on a TS/JTS (similar) engine, this may be needed when the starter packs up or if the battery goes flat within 12 hours and you have no lights out warning on the dash as the solenoid on the starter is a common cause for random power drain.

1, Disconnect the battery (negative terminal first and remove the battery from the vevicle, 10mm and 13mm), Also disconnect the thick red wire from the positive terminal block (13mm),

1-1.jpg

2, Remove the air duct between the MAF and the throttle body, 7mm hose clamp and R-Clic pliers),

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

3, Remove the throttle body (Torx T40 (CF1/2)or T45 (CF2 Sele/CF3)),

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

4, Remove the 3 13mm bolts that mount the starter to the gearbox,

7-1.jpg

5, Drop the starter out of its hole and rotate it so the back can be seen and remove the 13mm nut inside the plast cover and the 8mm nut holding on the signal wire,

8-1.jpg

6, Remove the starter from the hole,

9-1.jpg

7, Simply rebuild in the reverse order.

10-1.jpg

Out of interest, what do you use to shift the bolts? When I did my clutch on mine I ended up using a tyre lever against the engine to crack one of them it was so tight. I left the TB in place because the starter didn't need to come off but access was a bastard.

When I came to refit them, I couldn't find a 1/4" drive socket to go on my flex-handle ratchet so I "made" a short 13mm spanner by chopping a spare in half with a grinder. That made life easier.

Out of interest, what do you use to shift the bolts? When I did my clutch on mine I ended up using a tyre lever against the engine to crack one of them it was so tight. I left the TB in place because the starter didn't need to come off but access was a bastard.

I use a 13mm ratchet spanner and the starter has to come off no matter what if your doing the clutch otherwise it'll preven the gearbox from seperating from the backing plate.

I use a 13mm ratchet spanner and the starter has to come off no matter what if your doing the clutch otherwise it'll preven the gearbox from seperating from the backing plate.

I meant off the car. It was quite happy left hanging about at the back of the motor.

Do you mean you left the starter hanging on the wiring?

I secured it to something with a bungee strap. Can't remember what as it was months ago and the therapy has helped me to block it out.

I secured it to something with a bungee strap. Can't remember what as it was months ago and the therapy has helped me to block it out.

LOL.

LOL.

There wasn't much loling at my house.

It's a shame you weren't around that week. There were plenty of questions that needed answering.

Mine were the same after removing the plenum chamber .

It was at that point I learned to sing loud whilst washing them for at least a week .

( I man feel no pain ) ;)

My favourite was ohh ahh just stings abit oh ah just stings abit more. :)

Edited by Gibot123

thinking of doing the same to my 156 1.8 TS too. might be just replacing the gear. starting fails some times. you can hear the engine turning and firing, then it fails and you can only hear the starter motor spinning on its own.

is it an easier job by also removing the intake manifold?

It would be slightly easier if you removed the intake manifold (after you've wrestled with the bolts that mount the sterring reservoir, manfol itself, unclipped the sensor wiring from underneath it and moved all the wiring out the way), BUT then it would be even easier if you lifted the engine and gearbox out of the car.

:D but I'm not that expert :D

I'm just saying this because it looks like this way I will be kind off guessing where the starter motor bolts are and won't have much space to fit my hands.

is it worth the extra work to take out the manifold or just do it the simpler way?